Computer to Home theater system

Username: Rynop123

Post Number: 3
Im an Idiot!! Can somone please help me out by telling me what i need to connect my PC to my Onkyo HTS770??

Thanks
Ry

Username: Arrow224

Post Number: 3
For what, audio or visual?

You can connect your computer up to a TV to get images in various ways, all of which depend on what sort of plugs you have on your video card.

First there is composite. It is the yellow plug that comes standard on every AV piece. You will need an adapter to change this into s-video so you can plug it into your computer.

Next is s-video. Offering much better quality than composite, it is a good choice. Most TV's have s-video input, and all recent video cards have tv-out, or s-video out.

VGA (or RGB) is next. It comes standard with every video card, and is the blue plug. You will need a VGA lead from computer to VGA in on TV. Some TV's have this, some don't. Most often called computer in.

Last we have DVI. This will provide you with the best picture, as it is digital. It is the white rectangular plug on most recent video cards. You will need a DVI lead, or a DVI -> HDMI converter to plug it in.

There is also component, but that does not work very well. If you want to pursue that area, check out some ATI Radeon cards, some of them come with those leads.

For audio, I am assuming you already have a soundcard in the computer. Get yourself a 3.5mm (mini jack) to RCA converter, then plug the mini jack into the speakers out on the computer, and the other two into the corresponding audio in on your reciever. That will give you 2.0 channel sound.

If you have optical out, then you can use that (and any adapters you may need) to plug it in into the digital in on your reciever. That will give you 5.1 surround sound.

Kanderan
Unregistered guest
I'm having this same problem with same HTIB

right now i have the SPDIF out of my motherboard's built in sound card going to the digital coaxial in and my reciever is detecting it as a 2.0 channel analog signal so I'm thinking that this sound card doesnt support 5.1 channel Dolby Digital, so I'm gonna go pick up an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card from the store tommorow and try that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us