Can crossover be separated from Bose Acoustimass?

Username: Tominky

Post Number: 1
I have a Bose 5.1 Acoustimass surround speaker system that came with the house when we bought it. Yes, I know that there are better systems out there, but for now, this is what I have to work with. My problem is that I want to relocate the Acoustimass bass module across the room behind a couch, and the cables won't reach that far. (I must say that I am not a fan of this arrangement - having all of the satellite connections pass through the bass module.) I guess I could lengthen the cables by splicing in lengths of speaker wire, but it is a finished basement and it would be a royal PITA to fish that many speaker wires through the ceiling or under the carpet.

My question: Would it be possible to separate the crossover portion of the acoustimass module (where all of the speaker connections are made) from the cabinet? It looks like there are two wires that connect the crossover circuit board to the drivers themselves. If I put a metal plate over the hole where the crossover panel was, moved the cabinet across the room, and spliced in two lengths of speaker wire, would I be OK? I figure the crossover could just remain sitting behind the receiver.

Does anyone see any problems with this? Would I run into impedence or capacitance issues with the longer run of wire between the crossover and the drivers?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Tom

Post Number: 2
Can anyone offer an opinion on this?

Thanks!

infinity2
Unregistered guest
I don't think much of splicing ... new cable maybe -- monster cable? Don't think you need monstercable but it might be impressive...

TPE
Unregistered guest
Not to be a smart a$$, but I wouldnt worry about the loss via wire length as the difference is probably not audible in this system. I would guess that you are not getting many responses to this because there is not alot of people familiar with Bose that would understand what you are trying to do (or atleast not ones that admit to it!). I probably wouldnt put that behind anything, its not a sub, but rather just a large mid range (which is more directional than a sub and more sensitve to placement problems), stashing it behind a couch could take a $200 system and make it sound like a $50 system! Trust me with Bose you need all the help you can get!

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the reply, TPE. I looked at it again, and it would involve splicing a lot more than just two speaker wires. It does not appear to be feasible - looks like I'm stuck with it the way it is. I am going to add a powered sub instead, and just move the Acoustimass module to be inside a nearby cabinet. I can't say I'm real impressed with the way Bose designed their system - it is a total PITA to route all of the surround speakers through the sub cabinet. What a dumb way of doing things! I guess I'll just have to tolerate it until I can justify spending the money on a better surround system. Not really a high priority right now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us