Help! New TV!

Anonymous

Got a new tv this week and am totally stumped! The tv is a Samsung HL-P4663X HDTV. We have Direct TV - with a Sony Receiver. A Yamaha HTR-5760 AV Receiver and Pioneer DVD player. I have no idea how to hook up the tv through the Yamaha receiver. Right now, we just have the DirecTV cable plugged into the back of the tv and that works. With our old tv everything worked through the Yamaha receiver. Any help would be appreciated.

Username: Gojhawks

Post Number: 1
I have a Samsung HL-P5063 (same model just 4" bigger). I am not sure I understand your question. Why are you wanting to hook up the TV to the receiver? If your goal is to get TV sound through your receiver you should hook the audio out from the Direct TV receiver into the AV reciever. Hopefully both have the digital output/input so can use coax cable or optical. Then will get surround sound. Hope that helps.

Username: Notechie

US

Post Number: 1
Our son hooked everything up with our old tv. I guess my question was, we just hooked up the cable from the DirecTV receiver to the back of the new TV. Does there have to be some other connection made between the A/V receiver and the TV? The DVD player is connected to the A/V receiver, and the surround sound works - but no picture displays on the tv. So, I'm thinkng that there has to be some connections made between the tv and the a/v receiver for everything to work? (I appreciate somebody trying to help - thanks for your reply)

Username: Gojhawks

Post Number: 2
Ok I think I understand now. You have hooked up your DVD player by component (I hope) to your receiver but nothing from receiver to TV.That would explain lack of picture from DVD player. You do not have to hook up the DVD video out to the AV receiver but you can if you want. Your choices are to either connect the DVD video out directly to the HLP video in by component OR to go ahead and leave the DVD player video out connected to the receiver in which case you will need to run another component cable from the AV component out (I checked receiver specs and appears to have one) to component in on the HLP. I am not sure there is an advantage to running it through receiver. I am assuming for DVD audio that you have it connected by coax or optical from the DVD digital out to the AV digital in. Let me know if that works or have additional questions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us