Is 6.1 worth it?

lauro
Unregistered guest
Please enlighten me.

My room measures 12' X 17'. Can i really experience a big difference between 5.1 and 6.1 surround in this room size?

With that smallish room, is buying a 6.1 receiver worth it, considering its higher price compared to a 5.1 receiver, like nad t753 to t742/t743?

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 184
No. the sixth channel in a 6.1 set-up is not a discrete channel--it is just the two rear channels added together, thus it really adds nothing, particularly given the dimensions of your room. 5.1 is the standard and everything is mixed for 5.1, so I would stick with 5.1 and not worry about it. In fact, you would hear more and better sound buying five higher quality speakers than 6 speakers of lesser quality.

Username: Mattzzz420

Post Number: 2
yamaha does have a discrete center rear channel, and it does make a small difference

Bronze Member
Username: Xtremeht

Post Number: 18
Actually the 6th channel is discrete but there are not to many DVD's out their that have the discrete ES channel mixed in. Rush Hour 2 is an example of a true 6.1 movie. I run a 7.1 channel set-up and love it, the back 2 channels are matrixed in a 7.1.

Bronze Member
Username: 1st61

Post Number: 12
Any big difference between 6.1 and 7.1 when you are listening? I had just ordered a 6.1 system and am still thinking about the 7.1.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1640
no

Bronze Member
Username: 1st61

Post Number: 15
maybe it's because there isn't any true 7.1 DVD disk now. Let's wait when both the 6.1 and 7.1 format disks are all formally available and see if there is difference.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1643
yes, and then we buy more equipment:-)
hoooyah!

Bronze Member
Username: Forcedinduction

Post Number: 47
I'd recommend buying a 5.1 speaker setup and a 6.1 amp and you can always buy 1 more speaker later. Remember, the rear speakers are more fill and effect than anything. I have a room about your size and 5.1 does awesome.

Username: Monkey_man_jack

Post Number: 3
But why go for awesome when you can go for perfection, buy a 7.1 system. my rooms only 9x11 and I have a 7.1 system and it sounds perfect.

Unregistered guest
I have a 600watt,7piece home theater audio system w/3-dvd/cd changer.If I take away 5 of theses speakers,Can I hook up a 400watt speakers that carry 12" woofers/4" Midrange/and a high SPL Professional tweeter horns(3-way P.A./D.J./Nightclub speakers).Please let me know before I purchase....Thank You !!!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us