All speakers without "surround sound"

Username: Johnho

Post Number: 1
I have a Sony surround sound receiver and my DVD player hooked up with the optical connection. When I play a CD in my DVD player I know it's not surround sound, but I still hear the music through all five speakers. I have two questions: 1)Is that only happening because of the digital audio connection? 2)Is there a way to get the rear speakers on any receiver to be used with a regular RCA connection without an A/B speaker switch?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2264
1. No, it is probably because the receiver is set to pro-logic or some other proprietary surround sound. The receiver is just dividing the stereo signal through all the speakers. It shouldn't happen if you set the receiver to "stereo" mode.

2. Do you want to use a speaker with an RCA connector? Please, clarify.

Post Number: 2
I actually want all the speakers to play. I am interested in getting another surround system and hook up a karaoke machine to it as well as my DVD player. But the only way I can hook up my karaoke machine is through RCA and I would like to be able to play the karaoke output through all speakers. So, if I am understanding you correctly, if I set a receiver to a surround mode I can achieve this with any sort of analog or digital connection?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2272
Absolutely, just hook up the karaoke machine to any of the analog inputs in the back of your receiver and set the receiver to prologic or any of the surround modes and you'll be rocking in no time.
What karaoke machine are you using?

Post Number: 4
I wish I could say it was some fancy DVD machine, but it's only a two year old Singing Machine with 5 inch monitor. Any recommendations for a hts for a relatively inexpensive way to have good singing sound as well as good surround sound? Thanks for your help on everything!

Post Number: 5
Singing Machine CD+G, that is...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2277
In my experience, a good microphone is a big part of the equation with karaoke machines.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us