Weird sound from rear speakers in surround mode

surroundconfusion
Unregistered guest
hey guys,

I have a pioneer 1014 receiver and polk audio speakers. I am currently running a dvd player, dish network dvr, and playstation through the reciever. when I am watching the sattelite I cant seem to get surround sound to work, I tried using the prologic setting and It works to a point. But when I get close to the rear speaker I can hear low pitch audio coming through...and it sounds kind of like someone fast forwarding a tape or something. Does this make any sense? I am running it with regular rca wires...will it go away if I switch to optical?? I have the dvd running through coaxial and I havent noticed any problems with it.

also I get a very low volume humming sound from my sub even when everything is turned off...even the sub on off gives a hum....i tried to move it to another room and plug it in, and i still get a hum with no connections to it....is that supposed to happen???

thanks in advance!!!

Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 7
What Dish receiver are you using?

I have the same issue using a Dish 4900 with an Onkyo HT-S777 HTIB. I'm still searching for the cause as well. I have used both modes of connection for trial and no difference. See my post @ Home Theater > Home Theater in a Box > Onkyo 570

On the sub, I would say not. I have two different subs and neither one hums in any mode. You may have an issue there.

surroundconfusion
Unregistered guest
im using the dish dvr 522...do you get the same weird sound out of your surround speakers??

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 10
Yes I do, and it doesn't seem to matter what Surround mode I am in. If I use one of Onkyo's DSP modes then the sound is ok. I tried the Toslink (optical) cable since that is the only way to receive DD from the dish.

I called Dish Customer support yesterday and spoke to the tech center in Virginia. Of course they are denying any problem with the 4900 recvr that I have. (same as they denied any problem when I complained that the audio was not sync'd to the video a while back) I asked if they had logged any other complaints along this line and of course the answer was no. So no help there...yet.

I haven't had the time to get scientific with it, but I hope to this w/e. It doesn't sound offensive at low volumes, but bothers me knowing its there.

I will let you know what I find.

surroundconfusion
Unregistered guest
the sound is driving me crazy....if the volume is up i can hear the buzzing/chirping/chatter...i do get moments of clarity....but seems to happen only during commercials...go figure...I also used a optical cable...it did nothing.

I'm surprised tons of people havent complained about this...maybe this only happens to the newer dish dvr receivers...I'll have to call dish and yell at them....I also have problems with pixelation on my local channels...and of course this is my second dvr...the first one died after about 3 months....gotta love dish!!! I would have switched by now if I had line of sight for direct tv...but I don't :-(

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 15
Don't dis the dish man, been a customer for 8 yrs and still lovin it. Heard too many horror stories from the other one to make a switch now.

Anyhow, the pixelization problem is probably due to bad alignment or dish size for the low-powered local sat. Try to get your installer to realign or replace with larger bowl.

See the other posts about "chipmunk" at Home Theater > Home Theater in a Box > Onkyo 570
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us