RGB Connections ?

Username: Aeades

Post Number: 3
I have a Sony DLPNS305 which i am attempting to connect to my Toshiba 40PW03B RPTV by the use of a scart to componant video cable, my TV has Componant inputs (ext4) and my dvd player is set to output RGB signal yet i cannot get a picture, any ideas ?

i also have an issue where i have connected the monitor out from my Sony STRDB1070s via a scart2s-vhs cable to my tv. I then have my PC and Xbox connected to the reciever but the xbox does not produce a picture, however i am awaiting an advanced av cable which has s-vhs video out put and digital audio output - is it because it needs to be s-vhs to go through my monitor2tv cable?

Post Number: 5
Any one offer any advice here ?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 199
when you say scart, do you mean the(Syndicat des Constructeurs d'Appareils Radiorécepteurs et Téléviseurs)combined audio video connector?
Is the Sony a DVD player, the "DLP" designation is confusing and seems to denote another equipment.
I don't get the part where you don't get a picture? The Toshiba can only use one video signal at one time on one designated input. You probably have more than one signal going into 1 input.

Post Number: 6
When i say scart i mean a regular scart socket cable of out putting composite, s-vhs, and RGB (from the manual). I have a sony NS305 which is a base model DVD player as

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Sony_DVP_NS305

The TV has

Ext 1 scart
Ext 2 scart
Ext 3 scart
Ext 4 componaent

there is only one ext 4 input and that is used to connect the devices mention by means of a Profigold PGV372 as
http://www.hifileads.co.uk/video/profigold-pgv372.htm

And i get no picture at all

i hope this clarifies the situation

Silver Member

Post Number: 203
try checking the connectors for continuity...might be an open circuit.
cheers

Post Number: 8
Which connector?

What would that mean ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 212
i'm referring to the wires/cable. You may want to check their integrity...see if ther is a complete circuit or an open one. It could be a defective unit.

Post Number: 9
Possibly , so are you saying that a connection of this type should work ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
you have to forgive me, I just realized that the Sony DVD player that you have does not support progressive scan. The inputs on the Toshiba supports progressive scan and they don't usually work well with the scart adapter. The input on the Toshiba is having problems dealing with the signal, I believe that adapter is combining s-vhs signal, composite and component outputs. Is there any reason why you are not using component cables to connect your DVD to the RPTV? I'm still having trouble picturing the DVD player with a scart connector.
forgive my confusion, I've only seen a scart connection once, from a friend who came back from Lakenheath AB in England, a few years back and he was having issues with the same things. Took us 2 days to figure things out.

cheers

Post Number: 10
The DVD is an entry level one and does not have component video outputs , so a standard cable is out.

I read in the manual that the scart outputs composite, s-vhs & RGB

Is RGB a component video signal ?

I am still unsure if its the TV, DVD player or Cable (most probably the DVD i guess)

Silver Member

Post Number: 219
ah, there it is. If the unit has no component video outputs a scart will not be able to up-convert the signals. The scart is capable of nothing more than bridge to whatever signals you have into your TV. That is why your TV cannot detect any inputs because of your DVD player.

It may be true that the scart outputs all these signals, what they didn't say is that you have to have these signals present to begin with. What is killing me here, and causing no end of confusion, is the site I checked for your DVD player states that it has component video outputs???

So I'm thinking that the only video output in the back of the dvd player is scart? Again, pardon my confusion...it's hard to diagnose without pictures, i'm very visual when it comes to putting things together.

here is a great article on RGB (red, green, blue)

http://www.projectorcentral.com/component.htm

it will probably shed light on your dilemma

cheers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
OK 2 more question then,

In my DVD Player manual i says that the scart outputs 'composite', 's-vhs' & 'RGB' - Is this RGB signal the component video signal ?

If a scart cable cannot carry 'coponent video' signal then why is a cable made that have component RCA's one end and scart the other ?

That is what i don't understand.

Silver Member

Post Number: 227
yes, the scart is capable of "composite", "s-vhs" & "RGB", however, you also stated that the unit itself is basic and does not put out "component" video. The main problem here is, if your unit puts out a high bandwidth RGB, it will not be compatible with "component video".Hence, there will be no signal present for component at all. Which really bothers me...I didn't think that Sony makes any units without component video outputs and why "RGB"???
Anyway, to answer your second question, the component RCAs are more for ease of use by the average consumer. It doesn't necessarily mean that the signals present in such a connection will be compatible from one end to the other. The scart cable can carry those signals only if the said signals are present. There has been a lot of confusion with those RCA connectors, they all look the same and all the same sizes. You can only differentiate via color coding, and even then it is not reliable. Consumers are thinking "hmm, same color...probably compatible".

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
OK so its down to the DVD player , and someunits can output 'component video' through scart aswell.

Thanks you have answered my questions, however i would like to add to your comment about sony not providing 'component video' outputs by saying tthat i wished to add the new sony VTX-800 Freeveiw box which i had read could be connected to component inputs, but i saw it yeterday and it only has scart - does this mean this scart is furnished with 'component video' aswell ?

Thanks

Anthony

Silver Member

Post Number: 231
unfortunately, the VTX-800 puts out RGB signals, and it would be best to use the scart connections and not the scart to component adapter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us