Help with Sub Shutting Down

Username: Onewildtico

Post Number: 1
I was wondering if one of you experts could help me. I have a Sony STR-DA555ES receiver and a CHT-12 Velodyne sub-woofer. My problem is the sub will shut down for no explainable reason. The selector switch is on auto power but it is not shutting off because of no signal. The sub will be pumping pretty good just before it shuts down. On the back of the sub there is also a selector switch for Internal Cross Over (ICO) and Direct. When I have it selected to ICO it will shut down after about 1/2 hour. If I leave it at Direct it doesn't. I don't believe my receiver has an ICO built in. The Direct mode sounds OK, but shouldn't I be using the ICO if I have it? I am not sure if the problem lies with the receiver or the sub and the cost just to look at the items can be expensive. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.
Brian

Username: Jermdog

Post Number: 4
Your receiver does have an IOC, as located in the set up menu. It is possible you are experiencing an effect of "cascading corssovers." This occurs when you have two electronic crossovers in the same signal chain. I am not sure you can disable the IOC in the receiver, but you can in the sub. The crossover in the receiver is also adjustable in gain and frequency. I would suggest you consult your receiver manual to make these adjustments and disable the one in your sub if the receiver's IOC is not defeatable.

Username: Onewildtico

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the information. I did some research regarding the crossover on my receiver. To me it is very complex. It sounds like I should be using the one in my sub and one feature with my Sony 5ES receiver is that it has adjustable bass crossover in 10Hz increments from 40Hz to 200Hz. Now here's the question that shows my ignorance - What level should I have each speaker in order to utilize the crossover in the sub without experiencing the problem I initially referred to.

Brian
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us