Need new AV receiver and 5.1 speakers, $3000 budget

Username: Yomikey123

Post Number: 5
Hi there, I really need help here. I'm looking for a new AV receiver and 5.1 speaker system, $3,000 budget. Mostly for DVD movies and watching TV, and some SACD and DVD-A music listening.

I like listening to bright, detailed highs; I usually turn the treble all the way up. Also, crisp/crystal clear vocals and deep, reverberating and resounding bass is to my liking. I'm extremely particular on sound, but when I go to a store and listen to various systems the acoustics are so different everywhere it confuses me.

I've spent months researching this and am having trouble narrowing down my selection. Here are my theories so far based on what I've read, but I'm not sure how much of this fact, fiction or forum myths.

***** Any thoughts on these receivers would be greatly appreciated: *****

1) The bright Denon 3805 / DVD-3910 combo sounds like it will provide the best sound quality for my taste? They should be paired with Axiom or Paradigm speakers? I'm slightly disappointed of the lack of SACD support on the Denon Link, I heard there will be a software update to fix this but no ETA... no biggee though.

2) The warm and full Pioneer VSX-56txi / DV-59AVi combo pairs better with the bright Klipsch or Aperion speakers? However I hear that the Pioneer doesn't sound as crisp and pure as the Denon 3805, no matter what speakers you use? By the way I like the USB connection, and the fact I can listen to both DVD-A and SACD via pure digital firewire... but I'm not sure that these "nice-to-haves" outweigh my desire for the crispest/cleanest sound possible.

3) Harman Kardon AVR7300 / DVD31 combo: I have HK in my car and absolutely love the sound. This receiver upconverts standard video to 480P component, that sounds like a great feature. However this combo lacks the i.link features, so you must use analog multichannel inputs for DVD-A / SACD, but I don't think that sacrifices much on sound quality, does it?

***** Regarding the speakers I'd appreciate any comments on this front too: *****

1) I heard that Mordaunt-Short Avant Premiere speakers are the best in the $1500 price range? However it's too difficult to find someone who will sell them to you in the USA.

2) It's better to cherry-pick your subwoofer, preferably a Velodyne Deco subwoofer, more bang for your buck?

3) What's up with the CNET's editors choice Aperion Intimus? Other forums and reviews lead me to believe that they're not that good and mostly hype, with boxy vocals and overly bright, shrilling highs.

4) Axiom and Paradigm in the $1500 price range, what's the difference? Many say that these are speakers to match with the Denon 3805.

5) B&W? RBH?

Finally, with respect to my final purchase strategy: Maybe I should just decide on a speaker system first, and then start trying out receivers? Or maybe the other way around?

Help,
-Mikey

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2034
I would go with the Denon 3805 combos paired with Axioms or Klipsch.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 966
If you want bright and/or crisp Berny is right. You won't get any brighter[shrill IMO] than the Denon/Klipsch combo.

Unregistered guest
I am looking to buy an AV Receiver and set of speakers. I am confused with all the choices and would like some recommendations. My room size is small, 14' X 12'. I have a new Hitachi 50" HD LCD TV. I also have many rooms in the house that are wired from the locations of the pairs of speakers to a volume control in each room, then to a network panel where they all tie to a rack. From the rack, two speaker wires go inside the wall to behind the TV. I want a multi room receiver that is powerful enough to be able to listen to music on the back patio speakers yet to be sharp enough to make my DVD watching in the media room seem like being at the movies. So far I really like a few receivers but wonder if they are too large for my room. I like the Denon AVR 2802, Onkyo SR702, Onkyo SR602, Yamaha V1500 and the Pioneer Elite VSX-41. I really like the Klipsch speakers, but on the net last night I saw another article on some other brand that look just like the Klipsch but were much cheaper and supposedly just as good. I think they were Audio something or other. Any way, are any of these receivers good for what I need or are they all too much? If so, can you recommend something with a set of speakers? I like all kinds of music from Jazz to Rock, blues, etc. Big bang movies for sound are great too. My budget is limited, I'd say maybe $1200-$1800 for everything. Please email me your recommendations. Thanks,
Steve Guillory

Username: Yomikey123

Post Number: 6
Steve,

I would first get the receiver right, with the multiroom features that match your requirements. If you spend about $1000 on the receiver I guarantee you that it will sound perfectly awesome no matter what anybody says, all you have to do is configure it properly after you get it by means of receiver setup and purchasing the speakers that go well with that brand receiver. Therefore I would first choose the receiver, then match the right speakers to it. Here's a great place to start researching the multiroom features on receivers: http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/reviews/20030902/multiroom_audio .html?print=1&page=all

As for the speakers, you really gotta go to a home theater store and audition speaker/receiver combinations. Just call around and find one that has the receiver you want on display. Then go there and it will be very easy for those guys to pull various different brands of speakers plug them into the receiver for you. And take all of your favorite CD's with you so that you can audition the speakers to your exact music matches.

Here are some guidelines on speakers, but they are only my opinion and I hope these serve to help you in your decision rather than confuse you. Remember only you can decide on the speakers that you like:

Klipsch speakers are great but very bright, I'd definitely audition them first to make sure they are to your liking, and audition them with the Pioneer Elite as I think that would be the best match (Pioneer is warm and full, contrasts well with bright speakers).

For acoustical jazz and such, I've heard good things about Denon receivers, they are bright and crisp, but you definitely should not match it with Klipsch speakers though, it will be too shrillingly bright. Instead I'd recommend auditioning this receiver with Paradigm speakers.

I've heard that since Yamaha has a bright sound it also goes well with Paradigm speakers, and I found Yamaha to have the best sound for DVD movies. However to my ears it sounded flat when playing music, even after trying multiple different speakers in the audition room. It may have been a configuration problem on the receiver that they had in the store, but I chose to move to the next receiver as I really wanted to get t

Of course while you're there there will be other speaker brands lying around, I'd go ahead and have the salesperson swing multiple different brands of speakers into the receiver you audition, you might find that perfect combination by accident and if you do please let us know what that combo was. But don't let anyone plug in speakers that are above your budget, because they will always sound better no matter what the brand, and if you go that route then of course you have to re-audition all brands in that new price range :-)

Once you identify the receiver/speaker combination based on your sound preferences, I would go ahead and research the multiroom capability requirements of receivers, based on your requirements. Here's a great place to start:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/reviews/20030902/multiroom_audio .html?print=1&page=all

Finally, with respect to your requirement on "big bang" movie sound, make sure to get a good powered subwoofer. Since your room is only 14'x12' I think you'll be good with a 10" - it will rock your world and your neighbor's if you turn it up enough.

Hey Steve if you have any more questions just post again here, I've got email notifications on this thread.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us