AUDIO DROP OUT

Username: Blackdog69

Post Number: 9
When I am using my surround system to listen to TV broadcast I am noticing a "drop out" of the audio for maybe a splt second on an irregular pattern. It does not occur on the TV SPEAKER audio, only when I am using my stereo amplifier and THE surround system. I also only notice this on the higher TV frequencies (HBO-Showtine, etc.) especially when listening to MultiChannel and Digital Dolby broadcast? I have a new Sony Receiver.

Help.

Unregistered guest
Got the same problems on my new 895 been looking around, but not been able to find anything about it, let me know if you come up with the soulutions

Dave McClure
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony STR-DE975. . .same problem. Nothing on the Sony site about it. . .

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 126
Same problem here, through the coax digital out on an HD cable box. I have not called the cable company about this yet, but I'll bet they will blame it on their satelite feed.

The box feeds PCM stereo on lower channels, DD stereo on higher channels along with the occasional DD 5.1 signal on some movie and HD channels. As with paul, I only have this problem on higher channels. I definitely think the problem is not with the Sony receiver, as I am currently using a JVC.

Username: Scottro

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 4
Same problem, Sony receiver. I do think it's a cable problem though, my house is old. Only happens on the highest digital channels - I have comcast and it happens on the music choice channels (900 and up). And it only happens in the room where my HT is, not on the other TV with a cable box - which probably not coincidentally I believe has newer coax. Since it's on certain channels and I get 5.1 fine on the HD channels and HBO/Showtime, my guess is the cable signal is being compromised. I'm sure Comcast will gladly come replace my wiring for a few grand though.

Maybe we need signal boosters? I don't know much about this stuff.

BOCA
Unregistered guest
Why did you choose to go with SONY for audio at the first place?
SONY = picture = OK
SONY = audio = @#$%#@&*^%; forget my friends.
BAD CHOICE

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 5
Well thanks for your enlightened input, BOCA! That sure helps our drop out problem. I guess we all better run out and buy some new receivers.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 135
In response to my e-mail question to my cable company about these audio dropouts (which happened again on Six Feet Under [HBOHD] last night), they suggested I check to see if the cable box's SAP function was turned on. What?!

I swear, due to past experience with them, there's probably only two people in this entire multi-state cable company who know anything, and they don't know each other. Their billing department's on the ball though.

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 6
They never miss a bill.

Does Nate Fisher habla espanol? ;) I got a few dropouts during 6FU last night but they were split second - enough to change the display on the receiver but not really audible. I'm doing my best to figure this out myself given the typical runaround the cable co. gives me.

I double checked my HD box setup/maintenance screen...all the signal type indicators list the signal status as "good". I don't know what dB range it's supposed to be in so I couldn't tell you if its in the high end or low end of the spectrum. If that's even relevant to our problem.

I may have to call those schmoes this week for some "help". Maybe they can run a diagnostic on it or something.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us