Sixth speaker for 5.1->6.1 upgrade: central or surround speaker?

Username: Flyby

Post Number: 1
Dear all,

First of all, I hope I post in the right board, otherwise, I apologize to admin and ask them to move my msg in the correct one.

I've got a 5.1 Home Theater system made of:
>a Denon 1704 amplifier
>a set of Wharfedale speakers in 5.1 configuration mode (1 central, 2 front -large-, 2 rear -small- & subwoofer).

I want to make this system evolve to a 6.1 one (I'm not confident in 7.1 -ie. 2 front, 1 central, 2 side, 2 rear & sub as my amplifier can't do it and there are only very few DVDs in that format).

My question is:
Which type of speaker must I choose as the sixth speaker for 6.1 ES discrete (and matrix) configuration: a CENTRAL one (as the front central speaker) or a SURROUND one?
I think it depends on the type of signal played into the 6th channel: for sure in matrix (matriced 6.1 mode), it's the same as the 2 other surround, so it must be a surround speaker. But in true 6.1 mode, is it some voice and middle frequency signal (=> central speaker choice) or something else?

Thank you very much for your answers and advices.

BTW, the Denon/Wharfedale choice is good, maybe too much low frequencies response and a lack of details in high frequencies.

Regards from France,
Luc

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2012
You have put in way too much thought on this, Luc:-) Your best bet for 6.1 is to get the same center speakers you are using for the front center. For 7.1 use the same as your surrounds. Discrete or not, the surrounds are mainly for ambient sound effects and not dedicated for main dialog or staging.
Relax and enjoy!

Username: Flyby

Post Number: 2
Thank you very much Berny, I'm feeling more relaxed now!

I'll get the same rear center speaker as the front one.
But can you just explain me something in your reply? You said "Discrete or not, the surrounds are mainly for ambient sound effects and not dedicated for main dialog or staging."
So what is the best between the two installations below and what is the results of the first one on 6.1 DVDs?

_______

front
1--2--3

4-:-)-5

6------7
rear
Where 4,5,6 & 7 are the same surround speakers.

________

front

1--2--3

__:-)_

4--5--6
rear
Where 2 & 5 are two center speaker

_______
thanks again,
Luc

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2036
I have the first set up in your example.

The result would be, if your source material has discrete 6.1, you will hear sound effects on the 2 rear surrounds that are different from speaker 4 and 5. Speakers 6 and 7 however will be the same. If you have discrete 7.1 material, the sound effects coming from all 4, 5, 6,7 speakers will be different, as an example, when the material is meant to have a helicopter circling around you, you will be able to hear this sound coming out of the speakers individually at different times so it will actually feel that the sound is going around you.

If it is not discrete, it means that the sounds coming from your 4 and 5 speaker will be exactly the same as what is going to come out of 6 and 7. It has been matrixed.

The second set up will be the same, except that instead of sound coming from 2 speakers, it will only come out of 5.

When I say "not meant for dialog or staging", it means that the surround speakers are not used extensively as the front left/right and center speakers. The surround speakers are there for the feeling of localization and mostly for feelings of space. When there is a sound that is meant to come from behind you, you should be able to hear it. When a plane flies overhead from behind, you should hear it coming from the rear speakers transitioning towards the front and center.

Whe a recording is done, the main singer should be heard upfront and not around you, unless that is the intention of the recording.

Username: Daveee

Post Number: 2
Hey guys,

I hope one of you can help me out. I got a Marantz SR4400 6.1 receiver and I'm trying to figure out the best positions for my surround speakers in a room that is approx. 17'x10'. I figure I can spare 2 maybe 3 feet of space behind the couch if needed. For the SL and SR I have the Monitor Bronze Bfx (bi/dipole speakers) and for the back centre speaker I have a single Paradigm (direct speaker) from a previous setup.

Question #1: Should my SL and SR be directly on the sides of the listening position or slightly back and angled toward the listening position and how far from the back wall should they be?

Question #2: Would it be better to place the centre back speaker at the same level as the SL and SR or put it closer to the roof and angle it down toward the listening area?

Question #3: Since the back three speakers work together to produce the surround effect would a different brand of speaker (i.e. the paradigm speaker) work out of phase or frequency slightly from the Monitor SL and SR? And even if it did would you really be able to notice it causing a problem in creating a smooth surround effect?

Last Question: Do I switch my SL and SR to bipole or dipole for the best effect? The Monitor Bfx speaker has the mid range facing directly out and the highs (tweeters) face in opposite directions to the sides.

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 99
Dave,

Ideally, surrounds at the sides would ideal, but there is nothing wrong with taking room layout considerations into effect as well. Do whatever it takes. I have my surrounds towards the back wall and angled in at 45degrees so they can be better heard from different seating positions within the room(not just from the primary positions, two recliners) IE...That way if people are on the couch, they could hear the the right surround that would otherwise be blocked. You can experiment and do whatever you feel works best for your specific room.

Ideally, your back speaker should be the same height as your surrounds, but that isnt always possible. I did exactly what you were asking(put back speakers high, and aimed them down)because I have sliding glass doors where they needed to be. I ended up wall mounting them above the doors and aimed them down to the listening area. Now that they're up there, I think it sounds pretty cool.

As for question three, I think buying matching speakers is an overrated concept.(i can hear the audiophiles cringing) If your receiver is like mine, when you go through your setup stages, it will callibrate your speakers, and I dont feel like it is a big issue. To someone with an extremely critical ear, it is, but I'm not that person. If you are an audiophile with an extremely critical ear, do it by the book:-) :laugh:

IMO, less than 20% of alleged audiophiles with critical ears could even detect it. They're sure good at the technical jargon though.

To give you insight on your last question, my back speakers were designed to be wall mounted horizontally(perfect for my application), and when I hung them up, the woofer portion of the speakers face in towards each other. That's what you were asking, wasnt it?

Nig
Unregistered guest
Matching speakers is critical. If mix-matches still sound alright to you, it's nothing to do with how good your ears are. You've been lucky and your speakers roughly match. If they didn't, you would hear it.

dan1482
Unregistered guest
I wonder about the speaker matching. As long as the new speaker's dynamics are the same (e.g., frequency response, impedance, sensitivity, and recommended amp power), I'd do it. The only other factor would be aesthetics--I'd want them to look similar in style, color, and size.

Bronze Member
Username: Dobyblue

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 13
7.1 allows a more spacial sound to the surround field than 6.1 does. Having a 6th channel right behind your head vs. splitting that 6th channel up into 2 speakers on either side of your head.

As for 7 channel DVDs - I don't look for them to become very popular either. The only one I know of so far is the new version of The Deer Hunter which has
English - 7.1 Logic 7
English - Dolby 2.0
French - Dolby 2.0
Unless you have a Harmon Kardon receiver compatible with Logic 7 then there's only that one DVD you're missing.
I think DTS:ES 6.1 is just fine and dandy myself. I have listened to Logic 7 on an audio CD and I don't think it's any better than DTS' Neo:6 processing capabilities.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us