Surround Problems

Username: Civilant

Post Number: 1
I've read a few other posts related to this topic, but none touch on the exact problem I am having. I purchased the AV pack, and a digital optical cable. I enabled DolbyDigital and DTS on the XBOX settings as well.

My receiever detects the Dolby Digital for all my games that support it, however, the sound isn't right.

Ambient noises/background noises sound good. But the main sounds are weak and extremely muffled.

When I play a DVD (my receiver has a DVD player built into it as well), I can select DTS or Dolby Digital depending on which the movie supports. I get the same problem with the sound. The main dialogue when characters are speaking is really quiet. But the ambient noises and sound effects sound wonderful. For some reason the only way I can get strong sound is two switch it to stereo mode which kills my surround sound.

Has anyone ran into this problem before where dialogue in movies is extremely quiet and pretty much covered up with other ambient noises?

The only thing I do not have which I don't know if it matters is I don't have a subwoofer. I have a left, center, right, left surround, and right surround hooked up.

SOS!

Thanks

Username: Jvc

NC

Post Number: 3
Sounds like you need to go into the receiver's setup menus and adjust the levels of the speakers (this is the volume control for each speaker). Just raise the levels of the quieter ones. The ideal way to adjust is with an spl meter from Radio Shack and a setup disc from Avia, Sound & Vision HT setup disc, or DVE (Digital Video Essentials). By ear will be ok though.
Good luck!

Username: Mavriksc

Post Number: 1
i was going to post about the exact same problem... all the ambient noises (dvd:effects, game:passing traffic) come thru at an acceptable level but the main sounds (dvd:speach, game:any sound originating from the character)are increadibly low... but if i switch to 5 channel stereo it's all fine not surround but at least i can hear everything

Ravelikeirave
Unregistered guest
Ive got the same problem at this moment.. .normal stereo sound is find (audio source my computer) but when i kick on the pro logic .. the surrounds and center kick in when suppost to but the main speakers sound very strange and the all 5 speakers sound "Warbled" and strange harmonic sounds. unplugging one channel on the amp will stop the strange noises and one main speaker will work fine but then .. well .. the full dolby signal isnt being transferred and one main speaker is out of love ... im going to further diagnose this issue and submit a responce .. im sure this isnt a far from typical problem

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2559
How is the DVD player connected to the receiver?

Bronze Member
Username: Karthik_u1

East Brunswick, NJ USA

Post Number: 16
First make sure all the speaker wires are tight and fine. Use the set up on the receiver (either thro remote or the button on the receiver) to turn on or off those speakers that you do not have. For example, if you do not have a sub-woofer take it off from the set up. Next, sit about 7 or 8 feet away, with the receiver remote and put it in the set up mode (please see your receiver manual). The receiver will circle through each one of the speakers continuously--front left, front right, etc. Make sure you can hear noise from each one of the speakers, even if it is just a hissing noise. At least now you know that the receiver is talking to the speakers. Then adjust the decibels on each of the speaker through the reciver to get YOUR optimum output. Once that is done, play an audio CD or a pick a nice FM channel to play music to see if you can hear all the speakers.

Usually the receiver manual should explain these steps. Follow the steps to the letter and PATIENCE IS THE KEY. It might take a while but it is worth it. Use a friend along to help you. Two pairs of ears are better than one.

Good luck.

Username: Ctlw83

CT USA

Post Number: 2
I have the same problem and none of that stuff helped. I didn't read this post before I posted mine so, yeah, I have my own post about the same topic, sorry. Anyway, adjusting the speaker volumes didn't help

Username: Ctlw83

CT USA

Post Number: 3
SOmething I picked up on another forum. Make sure your wires are connected prperly. This didn't help me but, it may help someone else.

Goobah
Unregistered guest
I ran into this problem with my Xbox, and after searching around, I discovered that the center channel wire had come loose from the speaker. I reconnected, and all my main audio returned :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us