In-ceiling rear speakers

Username: Jl3838

Post Number: 1
I have been shopping a pair of in-ceiling speakers. Some sales recommended Sonance and Speakercraft. Are they any good or good enough? One sales said Speakercraft used to make speakers for Niles and Sonance. Is it true? Others recommended B&W which costs twice as much. Are they worth that much? Or would it be an overkill for rear speakers. Please advise. Thanks.

Unregistered guest
I spoke to BOSE representative, they said the following:

BOSE (Audio Consultant's reply):

Thank you for your inquiry. We would not recommend using a flush
mounted speakers in the ceiling for home theater. The sound will be coming
straight down towards the floor and you will lose most of the home
theater effect. If you have to use flush mounted speakers we would suggest
mounting then in the walls about ear level. This will allow the sound to
come into the room and create a fuller sound.

Also keep in mind that flushmount speaker is relatively permanent, and
any changes with furniture may negatively affect performance and/or the
aesthetic appearance and integrity of the room.

Username: Jl3838

Post Number: 2
Thank you for the information. I originally was comtemplating the idea of using 2 BOSE AcoustiMass speakers instead to take advantage of the pre-wiring. However, I found that BOSE only sell the AcoustiMass in set of 5+1 sub which costs about $850-1000. Any suggestions??

Username: Tonytiger

Post Number: 4
My dealer was able to order two BOSE Acoustimass series 5 speakers that I used for the rear channels due to a space constraint. You might ask your dealer if they can order them. These look like the two cube stack with the top cube rotatable.

Bronze Member
Username: Taxman

Post Number: 17
Can you wire the Acoustimass cube speakers directly to your receiver or are you required to run it through the Bose bass module?

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Post Number: 371
Taxman,
You can run them from a receiver, but there are better sounding speakers for less, like Athena, axiom, and ascend.

Athena can be heard at BestBuy if you are near one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
James:

I was just curious. After comparing the various Bose models side-by-side with other speakers, I have firmly decided to ditch any thought of matching my Bose 301s to surrounds and am looking at Athena, Paradigm and Ventriloquist VT-12 (each brings something to the table) for a complete HT setup. The bad part is I haven't actually heard any of these yet.

Bronze Member
Username: Heff

Post Number: 55
Taxman, you are on the right track.
I've heard Athena's and BB and they sound great.
Onecall has Athena's and will give u a discount.

You might hear VT-12 at CompUSA, but don't expect a listening room or a good demo. Unfortunatly, most of them are w/o a clue.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Heff:

I have heard the similar Athena system at BB and they sound great despite a lack of a listening room. I was hoping the Micras would sound similar.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us