Video Card recommendations

MarcUR
Unregistered guest
I recently hooked up my computer to my television (32" Sony Television, non-HDTV) via the s-video out of the NVIDEA GEForce FX 5200. While I was expecting the picture to be blurry, it was worse than I had hoped. Does anyone have a recommendation for a PCI or AGP card that I could use for my system. I only want a decent picture so that I can set up playlists via winamp, windows media player and creative media source player. What I have now really hurts the eyes. I have successfully set up the SB Audigy 2 NX USB sound card to send digital audio to my receiver, now I just need to get a decent picture on my television and I will be all set.

Bronze Member
Username: Tipstir

Post Number: 14
No, no and no! Don't go that way, you'll have bad results. What I do is if you have a home network you can turn that PC you have into a Network Media Server. HTPC, DVR, TVR, PVR

If you don't have a router, switch or hub, then you can buy what is called cross over cable (Ethernet Cat 5e) you would connect your PC network card through this cable to your Media MVP device.

The Media MVP would connect to the TV S-Video using S-Video cable and for Audio just a pair of audio patch cords for left and right or connect to your stereo receiver.

I stream my WMV, MPEG 1, MPEG 2, AVI, Divx,Xivd, KVCD, video and MP3, WMA audio stuff down to my living room 36" Panasonic TV/Monitor using a device called Media MVP. This is so simple to install, and once done you can watch anything on your PC onto your TV.

It comes with a wireless remote for accessing the media from your PC through a LINUX GUI on your TV. Again it's easy to work and use. I had pickup one then found out I could hookup more than one so I got two of them. I can watch a movie or TV show on the 36" and someone else can watch on the other 27" TV another movie or listen to MP3 music.

Right now you can buy 12 these units for 12 TVs if you do that then a router and switch port box.

Here's the link to learn more about this product.

http://www.hauppauge.com/html/mediamvp_datasheet.htm

Or you can read my review on this product.

http://www.epinions.com/content_160603278980

MarcUR
Unregistered guest
tip, thanks for the help, but I'm only looking for video. I have been pleased using both the M-Audio Sonica and the SB Audigy 2 NX usb card for audio. I only play shn, flac and windows media audio lossless files, so I want to be able to send a pure digital signal to my arcam avr200. Ideally, I would just like to be able to view windows and set playlists in WMA player 10 or winamp. It appears to me that you have to play the audio through the media MVP, or am I missing something.

Bronze Member
Username: Tipstir

Post Number: 16
No you can play anything media WMV and WMA and send that to your TV via Media MVP. As I read your question you wanted the best picture on your TV, so that's why I had answered your post.

I have gone one step further and built a P4 system and turn it into a HTPC and use the Media MVP players to send the audio and video media to my TV/Monitors in my house. Picture quality is very high, but I also record and capture Cable TV and use the Media MVP player to send RAW data to the TV. The key here is you already have a very good sound card like I do SB LIVE!. If you want to do more with your PC System and turn it into a DVR (Digital Video Recorder).

If you're more into Digital Sound you might want to look at Network Media devices like Pinnacle SoundCenter, Linksys and Dlink Media Network Centers. They all use digital optical and digital coax outputs.

Again the Media MVP can handle WMV and WMA files and send those audio tracks to your TV and stereo surround system.

Username: Jobar

Lincoln , Ne

Post Number: 1
tip, or anyone else's experienced opinion too.

I am really only interested in improving the picture quality of my htpc on my sdtv.
I was a little surprised by your answer to MarcUR on which would be the best video card to connection his htpc to a sdtv using s-video. I have never been satisfied with the picture quality of my ATI Radeon 7500 all in wonder card which is connected via an s-video cable to my 32" Sony sdtv (no component or dvi etc). Even playing a dvd on my cheap apex 1500 dvd player via s-video has a MUCH better picture than playing the same dvd on my htpc via the s-video from the ATI AIW card? Using the TV or VCR tuner is also much better than the Radeon 7500 AIW TV tuner which I am most interested in trying to improve. Up until reading your remarks I was looking for the best video card (for the money) to improve the picture on my sdtv (I was thinking possible an ati 9600 ).
If I understand what you are saying, a Media MVP connected via an s-video cable to my sdtv will look better than my s-video from my AIW video card. Plus all the other benefits the MVPMedia has?
So Nix the new video card and get a MediaMVP even if the computer is setting right next to the tv?

Greg-NJ
Unregistered guest
Hi...I currently have a MediaMVP. So far I have been unable to get it to play WMV (Video Files) I thought that this format was unsupported right now. Am I doing something wrong? Any tips or tricks to get this to work would be extremely helpful

Unregistered guest
I have the same setup as u MarcUR i have a ATI His Excalibur 9250 128MB PCI it works great i have it hooked up to my 65"inch wide screen sony. It works great i also have my sound hooked up to Home Theatre System its great for playying games like NHL 2005, Need For Speed Underground 2, and also Counter Strike

boomerang
Unregistered guest
The MediaMVP does NOT supoport WMV.

At least not with the Hauppauge software.

If someone knows a site that has 3rd party MediaMVP software supporting WMV, please post it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us