Need help! Connecting XBOX and PS2 to receiver with component video

Username: Johntchow

Post Number: 1
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction on setting up my home theater system. I essentially just wanted a "component video switch" so that I could hook up my XBOX and PS2 to my tv with component video. My TV only has 1 component video in so I figured I'd get a receiver that has 2 component ins. So I purchased the Pioneer VSX-D814K today.

Buy now I am unsure what I need to get this all setup correctly. I know I need a component video cable to connect the receiver to the tv. But do I need seperate audio cables for the XBOX and PS2 to connect to the receiver or can I use the existing component cables I have for the PS2 and XBOX.

I've been reading this board, and sounds like I will need to buy digital optical cables? I just would like to know what other cables I need to make this all work and how to connect everything.

Also, if anyone has recommendations on good entry level speaker systems. I'm not a sound affecienado but would like something that is a good value.

Thanks in advance!

Username: Scotty2hotty

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 5
If you are hooking the PS2 and XBox to the receiver, I am assuming you want actual 5.1 Dolby. You will need to hook them both up via optical cables. For the XBox you will need the XBox AV pack for 20 bucks.

Username: Johntchow

Post Number: 2
is it possible to use the red and white analog connectors that come with the PS2 and XBOX connections? could i just plug those into my receiver? i currently use component video cables for both my ps2 and xbox. my xbox connector has the digital optical outlet.

and for the digital optical cable should i be looking at something like this, Monster BLSS-1M Optical Digital Toslink Cable 1 Meter

thanks in advance!

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 6
Sure, you could use the red and white cables but you only get 2 channels (left and right). Your receiver might be able to turn that into surround sound with ProLogic (simulated surround sound). You would have sound coming from all of your speakers, however, without the optical cable you can't have true 5.1.

That cable on eBay would be just fine.

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 7
By the way, I highly reccomend getting an optical cable for true 5.1 for maximum Halo 2 rockin'. ;-)

Username: Arrowspace90

Highland Village, TX United States

Post Number: 3
This set up has caused me headaches. My receiver only has one (1) optical jack, which I am using for the DVD player. I have ordered a digital optical selector switch so I can get true surround sound from the xbox also. This will still be a hassle. The xbox looks great hooked up to my tv with component cables via the yamaha 5640 receiver, but running my dvd player through the receiver (tv only has 1 set component jacks) caused movies to look way worse than before; too much red. Why is this?

Unregistered guest
Major PS2 to RCA Scenium DLP HDTV Hookup

I can't get my PS2 to connect correctly to my brand new RCA 61" DLP tv. We tried using the top of the line Monster component cables and the picture looks terrible. It is a little wavy on the sides of the screen and doesn't look even close to how good it does on a regular tv. I am a pretty savy at hooking things up, but I have to be doing something wrong with this not to get the picture to turn out correctly. Can someone walk me through how to connect everything and get a decent looking picture. It sucks paying all that money for a bigscreen and not get PS2 to work correctly on it. HELP

Unregistered guest
MR. LOW TECH: THE VIDEO CABLES THAT CAME WITH MY XBOX ARE YELLOW, RED AND WHITE. MY TV IS AN OLD SONY TRINITRON AND IT HAS VIDEO INPUTS ON THE FRONT ONE IS RED, ONE IS YELLOW AND THEY ARE FINE BUT THE THIRD (THE WHITE ONE) DOES NOT TAKE THE PLUG IN TYPE CABLE SUPPLIED IT IS AN S-VIDEO PLUG IN. DO I NEED TO CONNECT IT AT ALL? IF SO, I GUESS I WILL NEED TO PURCHASE SOME KIND OF ADAPTER. IF YES, WHAT KIND?

rick926
Unregistered guest
Bought my son an xbox for christmas. Is there a device that will allow me to connect both the xbox & ps2 to a single tv so he doesn't have to keep unplugging the cables? A "switch box"?

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 26
Sure, rick, just go to Best Buy or Radio Shack and buy a switch.

HOTTY@SCOOY
Unregistered guest
I have a mad cats component connector. IT has both ps2 and x box inputs so you just plug in which ever one. Also its cheap, only like $15. Good quality too, I can put progressive scan on. Just by an optic cable while your at it

Frustrated
Unregistered guest
HELP!!!!! i just bougt a panasonic home theatre system for my television downstairs. I want to hook my xbox up to it but when i try to i don't get the full surround sound. The sound only comes out of the front left and right speakers. What do i do????????

Bronze Member
Username: Cory

Canada

Post Number: 11
does your HT have pro logic2

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 27
If you are using the RCA audio/video cables: Get an optical cable. Also get the AV pack for XBox.

If you are using optical: read your owner's manual.

What is the model # on the Panasonic?

Frustrated
Unregistered guest
The home theatre system is a panasonic SC -HT720.
as for pro logic2 i don't think it has it. I cannot see it in the manual. Doesn't the AV pack for the xbox only make the home theatre sytem go to digital dolby sorround sound? I don't want digital sound just surround sound. For some reason only the front two speakers work and not the centre or back speakers. I am using rca cables should i use optical cables instead? why?
thank you very much

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 28
1. It does have Pro Logic.

2. The basic XBox AV Pack lets you connect the audio via an optical cable and the video via an S-Video cable. The HD AV Pack gives you optical for audio and component for an HD picture.

3. If you want true Dolby 5.1, you need an optical cable and the basic AV pack. If you are satisfied with the immitation surround (Pro Logic, which you do have), all you need are the RCA cables that came with the XBox.

4. I have the SC-HT05, but my remote is slightly different. I am looking at a picture of your remote at circuitcity.com, but I cannot exactly make out every button. It looks like the Pro Logic button is under the 'RETURN' button. Read your owner's manual for more info.

5. If you are going to play Halo 2 online, my tag is Booler and I will whoop on yer butt.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 12
It does have it but only usable for the CD/DVD you will have to use super surround/movie mode
as to what i can see

Have fun

Peter Hodgkins123
Unregistered guest
Hi, I have the Monster Component Cables for my x-box, but when I connect it to the component in on my HD TV I get no signal, I know it's not the TV as I can connect my DVD and it works no probs?
Any ideas?
Thanx

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 13
I have a ps2 and i needed to go into system setup or the menu under the browser and went to video set up and put it to y/Pb/Pr don't know if its the same for x box but you shloud look closely at your instructions manual

Unregistered guest
ssound12.blogspot.com
for information on hooking surround sound

dexydog
Unregistered guest
I want to connect a ps2 and xbox to a mitsubishi 65" tv. i have 2 inputs but i need them for cable tv and xbox. where do i connect the ps2 cable? help!!

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 86
are you looking into gatting a home theater if so you can use a receiver

If not you can buy a vedeo switching box for about 20-30 bucks

nutoa/v
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know if the Onkyo tx-sr502 reciever can convert composite and S- video input signals to component video output signals for a tv? If not I suppose I would have to run the composite cables from my VCR directly to my TV and not through the reciever because I am planning on having a component video output to my TV to support DVD component inputs to the reciever. Also will picture quality suffer running component video signals through the reciever for ez video switching? Thanks!

Username: Stevetracy

Post Number: 6
I have a Digital Optical switch for switching sound between my Xbox and DVD player to my receiver. Someonw mention earlier that they have a Component Switch. I'd like to watch my DVD's and Xbox games BOTH with the component connections and only have one input on the TV. Is there a switch I can buy somewhere to enable this(I only have one input on my receiver as well) I currently have my xbox throuigh component and my DVD through S-video.

Thanks

supah fly
Unregistered guest
i have an xbox, dvd player, and dvr cable box all hooked up with component and optical cables ... i recomend monster cables for everything ALSO i have just found a SWEET little item that i ordered and im sure some of you may do the same ! its a Zektor HDs4 component/digital switch box check it out ... it answered my problem of only having 2 component sets on my tv and also my bigger problem of only having 2 optical slots on my reciever !http://gear.ign.com/articles/452/452131p1.html?fromint=1

Silver Member
Username: Dirtfarmer

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 382
Message Board: Home Theater: Home Theater Setup & Planning: The ultimate theatre setup guide

Use this link to go directly to the discussion:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/113395.html

Unregistered guest
anyway to patch xbox into motorola dvr

Unregistered guest
Okay, bare with me...I obviously don't know as much as all of you do. Here is my problem:

I currently have a Sony Trinitron Television, Playstation 2, Yamaha DVD Player/5.1 Surround Sound System, and JUST bought an Xbox. How the heck do I connect it all correctly to take full advantage of my systems capabilities? I believe my Sony TV only has 2 A/V Inputs and 1 Output. The same is probably true of my Yamaha Surround Sound/DVD Player. And then of course I have the PS2 and the Xbox. Do I need a switch? What cables are recommended? Can someone help me out with this tangled mess?

I appreciate you help!

Sincerely,

Brandon
bsavage@gonzaga.edu
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us