Help??? $1500 AVR / Spkrs for 56" DLP HTPC system

Username: Murphy917

Winston salem, Nc Usa

Post Number: 1
Hey gang....I have been reading this board and want to thank all of you guys in advance. There are some very sharp people on these boards. It is this reason, I ask your collective help.

I am putting together a home theater and have just purchased a Samsung Tantus 56" DLP as the centerpiece and now am looking to add the surround sound system.

I will be hooking up a PC and XBox to the TV and receiver as well as a DVD player for the ultimate home theater experience.

I have already dropped about $4000 on the TV, computer and Xbox so would like to stay in the $1000 - $1500 range for the receiver and speakers but if this is honestly not possible, I would like to know that. If it IS, I would like to know that too. I want something that says WOW when I sit down to watch the movie but if that can be done for $600 then lets do that.

Size on the speakers is crucial as is ease of use and setup on the receiver. I am somewhat "geeky" but not looking for a big
audio project as I have quite a computer project ahead of me with the 56" DLP to the pc connection.

I want to like the NAD receivers. I am 35 now but as far back as I can remember, I have liked the simplistic style of the NAD and have dreamed of being able to afford a "cool system" in one
of the audiophile stores...ha!!! A system like the ones all of you have in your homes.

Now that I can afford it, I would rather have a minimalist looking receiver rather than something like the "flavor of the
month" receivers with all of the stuff you will never use and all of the LEDs and lava lamp style graphics...ha!

Anyhow...what satellite speakers would you rec. to go with what receiver on this budget.

Some of the receivers I have looked at:
Rotel 1055
HK AVR325
NAD 742,752
Denon -various but the remote is confusing
not opposed to buying 2yr old model or so if can be had for a bargain and will have the tech. to hook up my pc,ipod,xbox and dvd.

Speakers:
HSU Ventroliquist
Infinity Tss-750
Mirage nano-stat

any other suggestions that would pair with one of the above. I would have listed more speaker choices but as I have read, it is best to match the speakers to the receiver? and/or the speakers are the most important part of your system?

I am obviously new at this and love the internet for these forums.

I absolutely HATE to go into the local hi-fi shops as I feel the guys in there talk down to you and make you feel like you dont know what youre talking about. I know I should listen to these systems myself but I live in Winston Salem, nc and have yet to find a good stereo shop in my area to demo anything decent.

thanks in advance,
-Murph' from NC

ps-if there are other threads (as I am sure there are about this subject) feel free to post link to them.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us