TV Audio not playing on the surround system

Username: Kingofmelody

Post Number: 1
I hooked up my new TV (Panasonic CT-34WX54) to my new Home Surround Theater System (Panasonic SC-HT920) and I currently have Digital Cable(Atlanta Scientific Box). My problem is that I don't get the sound from the regular Cable channels to play on the surround system speakers, it comes out through the TV speakers. However, the DVD/Tuner plays fine on the surround speakers, but not the TV. Any suggestions?? The following is a description on my setup connections.

Cable box Compound Video/Audio output to TV Compound video/Audio input. DVD/Tuner Compound Video Output to TV Compound Video Input 2. TV audio Output to DVD/Tuner Audio Input. In addition, I switched the audio setting from my TV from "Speakers ON" to "Speakers Off & Variable Audio Out" but I get now sound.

I would really apprecaite if someone in here can help me out with this problem. Thank you in advance for your help..

Bronze Member
Username: Os2dude

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 36
You have your Cablebox audio going to your TV, not the dvd/tuner. (AKA Receiver) Find an open audio input (Don't overlook digital or optical) and connect the cable box audio to the receiver. You will have to switch your receiver inputs to watch TV this way. I believe the only way you will get 'TRUE' surround sound from your cable box is if you use the digital audio connection. (Assuming your box is capable of providing Surround Sound)

Since there is no audio connection outputed from the receiver to the TV, you can't expect to get DVD or Radio from the TV speakers.

There is no 'compound' connection type. It is either composite (Red/White Audio and Yellow Video) or component (Red/Blue/Green Video with separate Red/White Audio; Orange Digital Audio; or Optical Audio. Component cables usually do not include the audio connections, but you can buy them that way.)

Username: Kingofmelody

Post Number: 2
Chris,

Thank you for the insight. By the way, I meant "Component" not "compound" Sorry.... So there is no way to connect the cable audio output to the TV input and TV audio output to the Receiver? If I do what you recommended(which I will try ASAP) then how would I hook up my PS2 to get sound from the surround system speakers?? Thanks in advance for your help..

Bronze Member
Username: Os2dude

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 37
It seems like it should work (Running device to TV, then TV to receiver) but I'm not sure if it would. I'm not sure what it would get you to do it that way. (Except maybe hooking XBOX to TV because you don't have enough inputs.)

If your receiver does not have enough inputs, look for a switch from Radio-Shack or some other electronics store that would let you select the source device. Then you could hook your Cable box and XBOX audio to it, and select which device is sent to the receiver.

Unregistered guest
Charlie,

You don't need to connect any audio to your TV. Just connect your cable box's audio out to one of the inputs on your receiver.

For your PS2, do the same thing (audio out on PS2 to an input on your receiver).

Username: Hobbitfeet

Post Number: 5
The PS2 has an optical out, otherwise you will need an A/V cable that has RCA Left and Right outs (I have one of these with L/R & composite out for gun games) and connect these to the receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us