Connection questions

Username: Newsrus

Post Number: 1
Some questions about home theatre setup. I've just got a new DVD player, which is forcing me to review my current setup. First of all, it has a coaxial digital ouput but the manual encourages the user to connect instead using the 6-channel 5.1 jacks (it has a built in decoder). My old DVD player only had digital outputs, so I've never had to think about this before (my receiver will accept both inputs). Is one method better than the other?

Secondly, I have an HDTV. I connected my old DVD player's video directly to the TV using component jacks, running just the audio through my receiver. But now that I'm rereading the manuals, I'm wondering why the receiver instructions encourage me to connect the DVD video through my receiver (it has component video connections). Is there any advantage to connecting the DVD player to my receiver, instead of running it directly to the TV?

Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1852
You are doing fine.
If you only have digital outputs from your dvd player, go ahead and use it. As far as one being better than the other, is purely up to the individual's taste and the type of equipment you are using. I use analog 6 hannel input when listening to dvd audio and sacd. I think it sounds worlds better, but you could think otherwise.
Where video is concerned, a direct connection from the dvd player via component hook up direct to the TV is better. There is no other process to get in the way of the video getting to your screen. Connecting it to your receiver adds the convenience of being able to control the video through one source.
cheers

Unregistered guest
David,

If your DVD player does SACD/DVD-A, you will definitely want to connect with the 6 analog cables because that's likely the only way you will get high-res multi-channel music (unless your receiver has a proprietary digital connection for this purpose, which is not typical). If you use the digital connection for SACD/DVD-A, what you are hearing is NOT high-res audio.

Otherwise, you'd only want to use the analog connections if you prefer your DVD player's decoders and bass management features over your receiver's.

--Nathan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us