Need advice on Sherwood Newcastle R863T receiver...

Unregistered guest
I am new to this home theater stuff, and am in the process of putting a system together. I have ordered Phase Technology's Velocity system speakers, using a pair of V-12 towers, a V-6 center, two V-surrounds, and a H1200 12" Subwoofer (250 watts). I found what i think is a good deal on these new ($1725 for everything) with MSRP of $2300. I am looking at running these with a Sherwood Newcastle R863T receiver, that has 6x100. Will this be enough to power these speakers, and is this a good match? I found a good deal on the receiver, and am trying to determine if they'd work well together. Thanks for the help......

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 842
Have you listened to this combination? I heard a Phase Tech system last year and did not care for it at all and if memory serves me it seemed on the bright side. There are no Sherwood dealers anywhere near me but I just read a review in HT mag and got the impression it was also a bit bright. Off hand I don't think that would be the best combination. I could be wrong and if you have heard them together and liked it then buy it but you might consider a warmer receiver.

Unregistered guest
Sorry for the ignorance, as I'm new to this stuff, but what do you mean by a "warmer" receiver vs a "bright" receiver?

Silver Member

Post Number: 850
Buy bright I mean an overemphasis on the upper frequencies and mostly characterized by vocal sibilance which can be noticed by a annoying ssss everytime someone uses a word with s in it. Most bright receivers also tend to sound thin and detailed which I don't care for but with the right speakers is not that bad. Yamaha and Denon are the best example's of this. Warmer brands are Marantz, H/K and Elite being maybe the warmest. Again I must ask if you have heard the Sherwood and Phase Tech's together or seperately or what?
Sherwood has made very interesting receivers over the years and it's rare to see them mentioned here so I am curious as to the specifics of your situation.

Unregistered guest
I have not heard these speakers and the Sherwood together. (and it won't be possible, as there are no Phase Technology or Sherwood dealers in Oregon) One of the Phase Technology speaker dealers I was initially working with highly recommended the cheapest Sherwood (R765) receiver with these speakers, which is the same receiver he is using with his system. He also recommended the R863, because of the better components, remote, etc. I found a good deal on a new one, but it has just been sold, I just found out. He also has an R963T, which has even better components and a little more power, at a decent price.

Silver Member

Post Number: 852
Sounds like you are going on "blind faith". I am not sure what else I can say except think about how much you want to spend on a receiver and look around for models in that price range from Marantz, Elite, H/K, NAD primarily as those are the brands I think would match best with the Phase Techs. My local Phase Tech dealers sells Marantz, Arcam and NAD receivers and I heard the speakers with the Arcam. In this case particularly it would be wise to get a good return policy[30 days] on the receiver just in case. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us