HT Speakers, help me choose...

Username: Rd11

Post Number: 1
Newbie, first post. Great site and have read numerous reviews. Looking to purchase a speaker package. $1000 is my budget. 2 new systems I am interested in have no reviews yet, Polk rm6900 and Infinity tss-1100. Both are $999 through authorized dealers. Good warranties. Anyone listen to either yet? Preference? Are there any higher quality speaker packages in this price range? 60% HT, 40% music ratio. Thanks.

Epic
Unregistered guest
Go for one of the online speaker companies...they will blow away most of the packages sold through stores in the same price range. Orb Audio is a personal favorite, and you can also check out Hsu, Axiom, etc.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for responding Epic. The problem is that I can't listen to these online speaker companies locally. I am not too thrilled about having mail-order demos and returning them one by one and paying shipping. I listened to Mirage Omnistat micro speakers the other day and was impressed, but not any more so than with the Polk rm6800. Are there other higher end brands other than Polk or Infinity where I can listen to at a store prior to buying?

Post Number: 3
I found a location where I can listen to some definitive technology systems. Any other high-end systems I should be checking to see if there is a local dealer nearby?

Epic
Unregistered guest
I was recommending the online companies primarily because you can get twice as much for your money that way, if you are willing to take the chance of a return. The key is to learn about the systems and talk to the company before ordering to see if it is likely to be a good fit. I've dealt with Orb and they are great, and I've heard very good things about Hsu and Axiom. I think the Hsu system is geared more for smaller rooms. Online definitely isn't for everyone, but if it works for you it can be a great deal.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us