So many settings, switches, connections..Please Help :-)

Username: Joshbwatkins

Post Number: 1
Hello to everyone, this is my first post, great site, good people here...First off my system, Pioneer DVD-363 Prog DVD player, Pioneer VSX-D412 A/V 5.1 reciever, Fluance SX-HTB 5 piece home theater speaker system, and a Dual - not two, the Company Dual 12inch front firing 270watt subwoofer..and a 25 inch tv with normal RCA inputs for video and sound... My first question, I have the dvd player running into the back of the rec. with both sound and video, sound being RCA's, Video via the sorry coax cable it came with...then a Coax running from the rec. to my tv...Should I bypass the video in, and just go DVD to TV for video, and grab an Optical cable for Sound from dvd to rec.? Alright, settings on my Rec., I'm mostly into movies btw, you can select either Small or Large speakers for the front, and then choose a crossover freq, if the speakers are all set to small, that freq dishes out to the subwoofer, if my fronts are set to large, that freq affects both the subwoofer and the front two channels...100hz,150hz,200hz...sooo, keep them all on small and what freq? (I have them on small and 200hz right now) or Go with large in the front, and then what freq would I use there? Bass out of my front channels isn't all that important, more clarity, as my subwoofer is more than able to handle the bass..on the topic of the subwoofer, low pass filter 50-150hz, dial..where do I want this setting at in relation to the rest of the system...and the phase switch, what does it do, and what should I set it on? Well I think that is about it, I appreicate everyone who reads and responds, and I hope I can create a little bit better sound with some tweaked settings..

Username: Hampshire

Post Number: 7
Optical from DVD to Receiver? Yes, definately better sound.
Bypass receiver for DVD video signal? No real benefit. The benefit of having it run through the receiver is that if you have other video sources run through the receiver i.e. vcr, cable, sattelite, then you can use the receiver as the main switch between sources. It will allow you to not have to adjust the tv and receiver when changing sources, just the receiver.
Speaker size? Leave speakers at Large setting if they are floor standing, Small if they are bookshelf size. Crossover frequency setting on sub should pick up where the main speakers leave off. If you can get a frequency response spec from your speakers owner manual you'll see where this is.
Phase switch? This keeps the sub in phase with the mains. It sounds good one way and bad the other. Test a cd with a slow thumping bass track to check it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us