Baffled by old Klipsch set going bad?

Username: Redknight

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 3
Hi folks,

I hope you don't mind me posting a message here re: a set of PC speakers, but no one in the PC area was able to help with what is probably an electronics problem... can anyone here help?

I have an old set of Klipsch speakers, the ProMedia v2-400 which, together with a CP-1 control pod upgrade, is pretty much a ProMedia 4.1 set.

The oddest thing is happening - they will only turn on SOME days, when I turn my system on. (I have everything on a surge protector, and shut everything off when I shut it down.)

When I say "they'll only turn on some days", I mean, some days they appear totally dead - the little power indicator in the control pod will be neither green nor red, just black, like when the whole system is shut down. It won't work for the whole session (day). But approximately every third day, it WILL come on, and will work just fine for the whole session (day).

I know that the sound signal is fine because I can plug a headphone into my soundcard, no problem.

Obviously when you hear of a plight like mine, you think "loose (power) connection". But I've checked for loose plugs or connectors a hundred times. Jiggling them doesn't make any difference, or pounding on them. (Also I can't find a fuse anywhere on it.)

It's always this "perfectly fine" or "totally dead" behavior for the whole PC session; nothing in between. It also doesn't matter if I e.g. shut everything down via the power strip and power it back on - It's almost as if there's some sort of "very long term overload effect" or something happening with them, such that they will only come on some days (and work fine then), or not at all (for the whole day).

I have written to Klipsch and, to their credit, they responded promptly - but the tech himself said it was weird and he had no idea what it might be besides a loose connection.

Maybe some sort of capacitor or contact is slowly going bad and, due to the heat of working for one day, separates internally somehow, then takes some time to come back together and make contact?

Does this make any sense to anyone? Any thoughts?? I'd hate to chuck this otherwise great system - all these speakers which are probably fine - just for what must be one little contact going bad!

TIA! - Mike

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1785
have you tried using a different power supply other than the one that came with the speakers. If it is a power supply problem, you can narrow it down.

Username: Redknight

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 4
Any other ideas anybody?

I made a Heathkit 25 years ago - that's the extent of my electronics knowledge, laugh. I'm loathe to pry open the subwoofer, try to figure out what's the power supply, figure the right replacement, quite possibly break the circuitry more in the process, etc. - unless folks here think they can supply a pretty clear cut idea of what needs to be fixed.

Also known as, unless it's (known to be) pretty easy to fix, I'd rather just buy a new set. But I have to ask before I'll know whether folks here have solid ideas or not.

Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us