New hook up, I hope

Username: Pegleg123

Garden City, NY USA

Post Number: 1
I have a SONY TV, Optimum Online cable TV, DVD player working. I'd like to add a speaker system, Altec Lansing XA3051, but for the life of me, I don't get it. Can anyone help. It seems I've tried hooking everything at some point. I do have use of a VCR (few years old), if necessary.
I called Altec Lansing and they advised me to use the VCR, but it still didn't work for me.
HELP PLEASE I feel like an idiot.
If anyone can help and needs more info, just let me know. Thanks

anonymous123
Unregistered guest
I've got a very similar problem.

FEELLIKELOSER
Unregistered guest
Me too - I don't use a VCR. I just hook up my incoming cable to the cable box, cable box to TV, DVD a/v to TV a/v and tried the a/v out to input on subwoofer/speakers. No sound?

IdeaNo101
Unregistered guest
Do you have access to all your manuals for TV, DVD. Maybe they would have suggestions. I'll look over mine and see if I can find any suggestions. Good Luck. It's a wonderful sound once you get it working.

Bronze Member
Username: Os2dude

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 27
Does you TV menu have a EXT SPKRS (External Speakers) option? Most TVs I've had do, and you must enable it for the TV to send sound OUT.

Garden City, NY USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your reply.
NO it doesn't seem have EXT SPKRS on the TV menu -only:
MTS: Stereo, Mono, or Auto SAP
Speaker: On or Off
if I turn the Speaker: "off", I have a choice of:
Audio Out: Fixed or Variable

It seems like I've tried all variations of hookups, but if you have any more ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Anonymous

Is it better to set up with a VCR, even tho I have a DVD, cable, and TV? If so, for what purpose? And..does that mean that you have to use the VCR remote, instead of the cable box?
So far, nothing works for me with the new subwoofer and speakers.

Bronze Member

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 28
SPEAKERS OFF is what I was thinking of. That would leave you with fixed volume output or your volume control controlling the external volume. When you selected SPEAKERS OFF, did you try turning up the volume? Not being funny here, but sometimes we overlook things when we get frustrated.

What is on the VCR that is not on your TV? What outputs/inputs are we talking here? Does the TV have LEFT/RIGHT AUDIO out, or just spring clips/banana jacks for speaker connections? What does the speaker system want? I've seen some that want the LEFT/RIGHT raw connections and others that use speaker level outputs. Check your manuals and see if what each device has matches what the other wants.

Garden CityUSA

Post Number: 3
No, I actually did turn the volume up. It does sound like something dumb I might have done.
The TV has the red and white connections, just like the subwoofer.
I'm sooooooo frustrated, I think I'm going to return them and find something easier, take my digital camera and,if they have it set up, take a picture so I won't have a problem.

Garden CityUSA

Post Number: 4
This is how I have it set up right now. I posted this also, but got no responses.
I'm trying to set up an Altec Lansing XA3051 for Gaming & TV to my DVD/VCR, TV, and cable box. I'm not connecting a game - just using it for audio on TV, which it says will work. I've tried to set it up with my SONY 20" and nothing works. Now I'm ready to try my 13"; however, it only has 1 yellow and 1 white connection on the back, which the DVD/VCR is hooked up to. Is there any way of setting this up?

If not, I'll go back to my 20" which is currently set up this way:
cable from wall to cable box
cable box line out to TV
DVD A/V to in A/V on TV
All of this is working
If I try to connect the subwoofer TV out A/V to the input on subwoofer, I get nothin'.
Please help! I'm really a novice at this - be kind!!

Bronze Member

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 29
Are the Red/While connections on the TV outputs?

Depending on where you bought your stuff, they may be willing to talk you through setting it up and explain WHY they are doing it a certain way.

If they can't explain it to you over the phone, take pics of your devices and/or draw a diagram and label what each port says it is. (Or take the manuals in if they have good drawings in them.) Then take that to the store. If they still can't help, go to another store. If they help you, shop at that store from now on. . .

Garden CityUSA

Post Number: 5
Good idea; however, I ordered it online. I could just ask at a local store that sells it. Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us