PS2 with Surround sound?

Username: Stu07

Post Number: 1
Does anyone know how i can connect my existing home cinema with my playstion 2, to enable surround sound from my games?

Username: Scotty2hotty

Chicago, IL

You need a dolby 5.1 surround reciever, an optical cable, and the PS2 to have the audio output enabled.

Also, trade the PS2 in for an XBox.

666_Gonzo_666
Unregistered guest
Scott is right, PS2 has nowwhere near the funfactor or surround sound capability compared to Xbox.

HALO 2 is not even 2 weeks till release!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Sandiego

Post Number: 28
I have the first gen xbox without the optical out. But I have an adaptor with component and optical outs. Does anyone know if they sell those or not? I got it when I worked at Midway. I want to get another

Unregistered guest
Stuart Walker is asking about games as well... right? First of all you need the optical cable. I bought one for $19.99 at Circuit City. Probably could have gotten it online for cheaper but oh well. I have it now.

As for games, I think the game has to support surround sound. Dolby or DTS. I have only a couple games that have the label on the holder.

Bronze Member
Username: Rkvfire

Vancouver, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 91
david

they sell those. no xbox has the optical port built into it originally. you have to get the advanced A/V pack. its around $40cdn. lol, why would u trade the ps2 for an xbox?! i love ps2 because it has allot of RPG games. xbox is only strict to racing, and sports games.. kinda lame :P. i love my RPG's :-) the ones that take a month to finish haha.

azeiku, newer ps2 games will have all that enabled.

Bronze Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 51
Stewart;

hooking up the PS2 to the surround is easy.

First you must choose......

analog or digital hookup.

With this caveat....

*MOST, most not all, but *most* ps2 games are Dolby PROLOGIC/PROLOGIC II, which will work fine with the red/white cables that come with the unit. Just plug them into the back of your surround receiver and set the decoding to Dolby Prologic II. It will sound great.

A *FEW*, very very few, games for PS2 are in Dolby Digital/DTS. For this you would need an optical cable coming out the back to your receiver. you would also need this setup to watch movies in DD/DTS. Personally, I don't use my PS2 for movies and wouldn't waste the 20 to 30 bucks for an optical cable for this for the few times it would be used.

Hope that helps.

Username: Monkey_man_jack

PS2 rules! and comes 5.1 ready, you dont have to buy an adaptor to get DTS or Dolby Digital, you just buy the fiber optic and presto 5.1! Having to buy a $40 adaptor is a ripoff. Plus PS2 has better games.

Although I do have a question concerning the PS2. I saw a game ssx 3, and it was in THX, what is the point of making a THX video game for a system that isn't THX certified.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 16
The XBox adapter is only 20 bucks. Also, the PS2 has no in game 5.1, only 5.1 during cinematic sequences. The XBox can do 5.1 during actual gameplay.

Post Number: 10
Are you sure Scotty? The games I play sound pretty darn good on my system. You can hear cars buzzing past you, bombs in the background, bullets wizzing past you. Anyways for non 5.1 it sounds pretty 5.1 inish to me.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 17
That's Pro Logic.

http://dolby.com/consumer/games/games_and_consoles4.html

Bronze Member
Username: Drew_and_not_u

Wilmington, NC United States

Post Number: 18
GTA: Vice City for the PS2 is in DTS during gameplay.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Yeah, what Andrew said... DTS, baby. That's 5.1, Then there's SSX 3 which is THX. Oh yeah!

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 22
DTS is not even related to Dolby, let alone Dolby 5.1 Dork.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Who said anything about Dolby? Dork. I said DTS which is 5.1, I don't know if your aware of this fact. When did i or anyone else say that Dolby and DTS were the same? Besides that, DTS is better than Dolby D.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 23
Mah bad.

Bronze Member
Username: Drew_and_not_u

Wilmington, NC United States

Post Number: 20
haha, Dork means Whale p e n i s...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums