Mounting Onkyo 770 speakers

Username: Haddadski

Post Number: 1
Just ordered my 770 and waiting for the bad boy to come. BUT, when I was looking at the speakers in the store, they were only equipped with simple picture-frame hangers! What have you all done to mount your speakers for the best possible sound. The guy at the store talked about attaching brackets, but I'm pretty worried about screwing into the back of the speaker-wall. I would hate to have to build a shelf for each speaker, especially the rear center. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Daddyrabbit

Post Number: 60
Fear not. WalMart has a cheap set of wall mounts that , with some creativity, you can use with the "picture hangar" mounts. Actually the rear center is the least of the problems...

I'll struggle to remember exactly how I used (I believe they were Atlantic brand)these mounts, but my 770 speakers are still hanging on the wall :-)

Bronze Member
Username: 1st61

Post Number: 36
I had same hassle too and could not find any screw which has a small head fitting the bracket on the back of the speaker and being long enough to get into the wall. I found a couple of 2" nails and punched them into wall and just hung the speaker there and they seemd working fine. Most picture hanging hooks won't fit in the bracket on the back of the speaker. Bad design.

Username: Haddadski

Post Number: 2
For "daddyrabbit" - Do you know the name of those speaker mounts from WalMart? I looked on their website and they only show stands for satellites up to 2 lbs only.

I suppose I could use nails like 1st61, but I'm worried that hanging them flush to the wall will lessen the sound quality or create vibrations against the wall. Plus, I want to mount the rear center close to the ceiling and angle it toward the seating area.

Any other ideas???

Bronze Member
Username: Daddyrabbit

Post Number: 61
I believe they were "Atlantic" or something like that. They come in a package of 2 for pretty cheap. They are a universal mount but I had to fiddle with them a bit to get them to work (for the screw to fit I had to remove the "picture hangar" mount and re-attach it)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us