Why make Video signal goes through receiver ?

Username: Ronnieho

NY, NY USA

Post Number: 1
Hi All,

I just bought a receiver with 6.1 speakers. Should I make my satellite receiver video signal output to the receiver and then connect the receiver to my TV or should I just make a direct video connection between the TV and the satellite receiver ? Is there any advantage by making the video signal goes through the receiver? Thanks a lot.

Bronze Member
Username: Os2dude

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 23
If you have a good quality receiver and cables, you will not be able to see any difference in the video quality.

So the answer to your questions is: It depends.

In my case, I hooked everything up through the receiver. I have a Yamaha RX-V2400 that supports multi-zone video and up-converts all video signals. The primary zone TV is hooked into the COMPONENT MONITOR OUT, and the zone 2 TV is hooked up to the S-Video output. When I select the device on the receiver, I don't have to change inputs on the TV. The receiver converts all the video signals when required, so my component DVD, S-Video Replay! and composite VCR can be viewed on the TVs in each room with no additional effort on my part. Very Cool.

Username: Ronnieho

NY, NY USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks Chris. Seems like there will not be any improvement of the video quality if the signal goes thru the receiver, so I guess I'll just connect my video component directly to the TV to save the budget on cables.

Username: Sandiego

Post Number: 8
Chris,
How do I know if my receiver "up converts?" Also, what if I find that it doesn't? Does that mean that my HD tv is not actually running in progressive scan if say my xbox is hooked (using component cables) to my receiver and then from the receiver (using a different set of component cables) to my tv? I have programmed my xbox to know that my tv supports progressive and the game itself does also.

Bronze Member
Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 77
This is a guess for your tv, but your tv, when you change it to the auxiliary input, might tell you what it's running (e.g.: 720p mode, 480i, etc.). My Hitachi HDTV tells me this info as soon as I switch inputs, like 480i for dvd player (I'll get a prog. scan one day...), 1080i for my HD sat. receiver, etc. I would think this is the only way to know for sure, but I hope your tv gives you this info.

Bronze Member
Username: Sandiego

Post Number: 12
thanks for the info Jacob, but I don't actually think my tv tells me. I know it supports all the formats up to 1080i. My guess is that the games are running progressive because when I boot one of them up the screen wigs out and goes black for a second then comes back on. So my guess is that it is switching then. That's a nice feature that you tv tell you what its running by the way
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us