THX certified, how objective and reliable it be?

Bronze Member
Username: 1st61

Post Number: 33
This company certify this and certify that. How high is its bar? Is it relaiable? Is it objective?
How does the company generate revenue? If its revenue is from other sources other than certifying other companies' products, how independant it will be?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1694
Reliability and objectivity is not part of the equation. All it does is certify that this "X" company/theatre/receiver/etc. meets certain parameters or standards according to their spcifications (THX). The original intent was for the audience to experience the sound that the artist(at this time was George Lucas) originally intended for the audience to hear. It first applied to theatres..if you go to all THX certified theatres, you should be able to hear the same quality of sound in any part of the country.
http://www.thx.com/mod/cinema/about.html
http://www.thx.com/mod/cert/productsCertDesc.html
http://www.digitalproducer.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=27068
http://timefordvd.com/tutorial/THX.shtml

Username: Sandiego

Post Number: 4
I used to work in the movie theater business and one thing to keep in mind is that just because the movie you are watching has the nifty THX intro doesn't mean the theater you are in is "THX equipped." There are very few, true THX certified theaters. As you probably know, to be able to really enjoy the THX experience, every single item in your home theater (or movie theater) has to be tested and certified. This means your reciever, each speaker, DVD player, and even speaker wire. Also, the room you are listening in has to meet certain specifications. This is why paying twice as much for a receiver that is "THX certified" doesn't make a lot of sense unless you are goin to go all out on every single piece of equipment in your theater. Hope this helps

Username: Mercian

Post Number: 2
I wasn't aware that the very room in which the sound is heard must meet certain specifications, interesting stuff.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 746
David,
Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying your comment about "to really enjoy the THX experience" etc is total nonsense. You do not have to have all THX certified equipment to enjoy the benefits that do come with every THX receiver, primarily cinema eq and timbre matching. I don't care what the THX people say about my dvd player, speakers, my room etc but I do like having cinema eq and a few of the other features of THX in any receiver. You can have a THX receiver and no other THX cerified equipment and have an awesome home theater. I've heard several, mine included.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
thereal,
I am not saying that a THX certified receiver is not a quality component. You are right that I got those words from the "THX people." Cinema eq is not a THX exlcusive feature. My Onkyo (not thx) has it. All I'm saying is that I would not reccomend paying twice as much for something just because it has the THX badge of approval. Especially, if THX is telling me I need to have that badge on every single component in my home theater to hear THX quality.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 748
David,
I agree with you and guess I misunderstood your point originally. I have had both THX and non THX receivers and the THX badge does not factor into my ultimate decision on what to buy but only insures that it includes a few things like I mentioned. If THX thinks every component in a home theater needs to have their approval then they are nuts. A really good home system has always sounded better than most any theater to me. More intimate too and no gum on the floor!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Agreed

TJ Guy
Unregistered guest
Actually..THX certification also governs things such as Timbre matching on speakers. If you have a THX select speakers....(which is recomended over THX Ultra for Audio) you are assured of proper matching of front and back center and surround speakers. It's very nice since you don't get that if you just buy different brand speakers front to back....however any decent high end all in one system (and in truth low end system) will likely be timber matched regardless...however no question THX is not just a red herring, there are real and wonderful benefits to it. People say it's junk.....but those are also the people who don't have any THX in their system.

I should add that there is crap THX the Kenwood THX reciever under 1000$ it's that kind of stuff that makes people think twice about it....all I can say is don't throw the baby out with the bath water.....there are some wonderful things about it.....besides just "paying more".

I am currently running the Mordaunt Short Series 500 THX system....I could not be happier...I got an amazing deal and I payed alot less than most non thx systems....and it sounds a he** of a lot better than anything else in it's price range.....and the music....sweet music.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us