Component Switching for HDTV box, XBox, & DVD w/ surround

Username: Jules15

Post Number: 2
Bare with me, I am just starting in this area, but need help! My husband & I just purchased a Panasonic EDTV plasma to which I would like to buy him a "cost effective" surrond sound system. The problem is that we are pretty unfamilar with how to wire the things so I don't know what ins/outs to look for when I am picking one out. I'm not going to spend enough on a reciever to have high enough bandwidth & capability to do the component switching through it but have read about other component switches like JVC JX-S111.

The TV installer said we will want limited wires running through the wall & probably would only want to pull them once so the thought is pull 1 set of cables, then I would put them into a component switch which will in turn have the HDTV cable box, dvd, & x-box hooked up (& and room for future additions). But my real question is where does the reciever then get hooked up so I get surround sound from the hdtv signals, dvd, & x-box?

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 72
Julia, I'm assuming this plasma is a flat screen and will be mounted on the wall, in which case the only connections you'll need to the tv will be video. As long as your new tv has a few component video or even s-video inputs, you're good.

You'll probably want the cable box video outs and the tv video ins to be connected via component cables (green, blue, red). If your tv has more component inputs, then hell! Use them to connect to your dvd and the x-box, too! If not, you can at least have an s-video connection from your xbox to the tv.

For audio, nothing needs to go to the tv, if you want your audio to be routed solely to your surround sound receiver. If your tv has speakers that you want to use, of course, you'll need to run stereo (red/white rca) cables from each component (cable box, dvd, xbox) to the tv as well. If each of the components has an optical out or digital coax out for 5.1 audio, and I'm sure they do, those cables will be routed straight to the surround sound receiver, and don't have to go up inside the wall to the tv.

This basically looks like a big heap of confusion. But I hope it gives you some ideas of what cables will go where.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
On the thread above this one, Julia, it seems the only options will be running 3 sets of video cables to your tv, or all separate components to your receiver first, then only one set to your tv, even though that's not your favorite option. Can't think of anything else, though!

Username: Jules15

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the input. I have read a bunch about these component switches, can I run everything through one of those (like http://www.smarthome.com/7772.html)? Has anyone tried this and gotten good quality?

Unregistered guest
I just purchase a toshiba 42" HDTV I need to connect the HDTV "box"from my cable company,but also I need to connect the DVD,VCR<and the audio equpment I need to know how...? Any sugestions...Miguel

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
Don't know the specifics, but generally:

You could connect your box to your tv using component video cables, at least. If you have a surround receiver, the box's audio out (optical or digital coax (looks like a regular rca style cable)) will go to the surround receiver. If not, you could simply connect the box's audio out (regular red/white rca's) to the tv.

For video, the dvd to the tv can be connected using component or even a s-video cable. For audio, you can do the same as for the box, or regular stereo rca cables to the tv's audio input.

The vcr to the tv could be connected by a simple rca cable (yellow), and stereo cables (red/white) for audio.

Hope this gives you a starting point...

Username: Leen619

San Diego, CA

Post Number: 4
Hi.. this is a great forum and I'm learning alot!

My question is, in order for us to play XBOX, we're finding ourselves having to go to the back of the TV,unplugging the DVD component cables, then plugging in the XBOX HD cables. Is there a way to eliminate the need for going back and forth behind the tv just to watch DVDs then to playing XBOX? We only have two components in the back. I need 3!

I did see at Fry's this Pelican System Selector Pro which seems ideal to help my situation. But has anyone tried it?
Here's the review: http://www.pcgameworld.com/article.php/id/244

Any suggestions? Aileen

daniel_centralsound
Unregistered guest
component switching is good if you get a reciever that allows enough bandwidth to not lose any of the signal. two good recievers are onkyos and denons, they start at as little as $500 for the better ones.

the difference ios component switching and component-upswitching. up-switching can convert all video formats (s-video and yellow compsite rcas) out of the one component cable to your tv. get a good reciever.

your going to spend an extra couple hundered on wires going to you plasma if you dont switch, might as well get a better reciever.

daniel,

owner central sound systems

Username: Leen619

San Diego, CA

Post Number: 5
Thx for the info. Our surround system and DVD is actually by Onkyo. (i don't know the model number off hand.. I can ck when I get home).
So I can use my receiver instead of the Pelican right? Where would I plug in the HD cables from my Xbox.. on the receiver?
thanks... aileen
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us