Confused about PLII

JonD
Unregistered guest
i understand Dolby Digital and DTS - digital 5:1 or 6:1 encoding, complete channel separation, etc. - makes complete sense to me.

but i don't get Dolby ProLogic II (or any other analog surround sheme).

my understanding is that PLII attempts to separate a 2 channel analog input into 5:1 channels via a DSP, correct? but does the analog signal have to be PLII encoded or will PLII attempt to separate any 2 channel signal? if it's the former, how does the PLII encoding work? does it use some sort of modulation scheme (FM?) embedded within the signal?

thanks for the help.

HTIB Help
Unregistered guest
This page has a lot of info on Dolby Pro Logic II, check it out...

http://www.area450.com/homecinema/dpl2.htm

-Danny

dforrest
Unregistered guest
Will the analog signal output on an optical cable from receiver to DVD player?

HTIB Help
Unregistered guest
Could you rephrase your question dforrest?

JonD
Unregistered guest
HTIB Help,
thanks for the link, but I didn't find the article very helpful. sorry. Like most HT reviews, it offers little more than breathless recaps of the same old DVD experiences....I was a EE in college and understand some of the terminology/technology in signal processing and am more interested in how PLII works than what the 10,000th person thinks about how amazing Star Wars/Gladiator/SPR sounds like in various surround modes...

that aside, maybe my question is more technical.

i'll try again...
is there such a thing as Dolby PLII *encoding* of the source material (in analog) OR is Dolby PLII simply a DSP algorithm for (artificially) deriving a 5 channel output from a 2 channel analog signal?

people talk about PLII *decoding* but, maybe it's semantics, but i don't think you can *decode* something that has never been *encoded*.

i have a feeling that PLII is stricly a DSP algorithm, not a decoding schema...

thanks all!

JonD
Unregistered guest
i think i might have found my own answer..

www.dolby.com/professional/pro_audio_engineering/solutions_surround.html

so it looks like there is a PLII encoding scheme that translates 5 channels into 2 at the source before transmission. then the A/V receiver decodes it back into 5 channels...

anyone know how this encoding scheme works (in signal processing terms)?

thanks.

dforrest
Unregistered guest
As I understand it, PL ll is and analog signal. Do I need to use analog inter-connects from DVD player to receiver or will the signal go over my Optical cable? thanks in advance.

JonD
Unregistered guest
that's a very good question, dforrest.

i'd like to know the answer as well...

HTIB Help
Unregistered guest
My receiver supports PL II. I have my DVD player hooked up to it using a digital coaxial cable. When I put in a movie that has DD that is not 5.1, it works.

So from my experience yes, the signal should go through your optical cable

Bronze Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 49
I knew that on my DVD player the analog signal was passing through the coax digital. So, I had to test this out & played a CD on the PS2 (audio is only hooked up through an optical)--and yes, it worked fine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us