Decent yet INEXPENSIVE surround speakers for Yamaha RX-V2400

Username: Os2dude

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 9
I just blew my budget on a Yamaha RX-V2400 A/V receiver, thinking I could use some old surround spekers I had. Unfortunatly, the RX-V2400 is rated 120W and the surround speakers are only 70W.

I need at least a pair of L/R surrounds, possibly a center (I can't find my old center) and at least two stereo speakers for the bedroom. (No I don't have a sub either, but that can wait.)

What can you recommend? (I need to try to keep it to $200)

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1558
Try the Athena ASB1 or ASB2. They have a new one called the ASR1, which is a dipole but I haven't heard it yet.

Username: Mitchbd

Post Number: 7
$200? Good luck. BTW - the wattage mis-match shouldn't be that big of a deal anyway. You have much more of a chance blowing the speakers if the amp was rated at, say 35 watts, than you do with an amp rated at 120 watts (using 70w speakers). Those should be fine for surrounds.... they won't be working that hard anyway.

Bronze Member
Username: Hokievt

Post Number: 41
Use the old surrounds until you can afford speakers.

Username: Brooksy

Post Number: 5
Why not stick with Yamaha and their NS-BP4500 speaker package? $249 retail with 3 surrounds, 2 mains, 1 center AND sub. You should be able to find it for around $200.
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HXseries/NS_packages.htm

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 888
The wattage issue is no issue at all. The 2400 only puts out 43.5 watts with all channels driven into a 8 ohm load so don't worry about it. You don't say what mains you have but for a really good pair of $200 speakers that will sound good with your 2400 try the Paradigm Atom. They are incredible little speakers and can take lots of power without strain, way more than the 2400 can give them. In fact if you have the cash I'd say get a whole Paradigm system as they are the best match with Yamaha I have ever heard.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us