Home Theater Setup?

I'm thinking about moving to a 5.1 audio setup, but I don't know where I'd put the speakers. Our family room looks like this (roughly):

http://geocities.com/joeldk99/layout.jpg

Nothing can be placed in the gray area because its a walkway. The back door opens into that area. Now, I imagine the L, R, and C speakers could be placed easily enough, but where could the rear speakers and sub be placed to get the effect for everyone watching? I'm guessing the sub could go under the end table, but the surround speakers have me baffled. Can anyone here help?

BTW, you may have to copy that URL and paste it into your address bar for it to work.

Anonymous
man o man,i guess that's the wife setup huh.you're right this is a deliema,i would first suggest putting the tv to back the wall and shift the furniture.is the sub a downfiring sub?if so,you can put it under the table if not next to the tv should be nice.in this setup evryone should be able to experience the effects of the movie.

po
I think you probably won't have much luck with the surrounds unless you mount them on the ceiling. Of course, that takes a fair amount of effort but it would be the least obtrusive.

Also, keep in mind that while the bass is not too directional, it will sound better if the sub is in front of the listener near the TV rather than under that table almost behind the listener.

-po

Thanks for your help. After thinking about it, I think we'll go with ceiling mounted. Thanks for the advice on the sub too.

Anonymous
Just curious. Are you going to change your furniture arrangement or leave as is? I have a similar layout.

We're going to leave the furniture as it is, and put ceiling mounted speakers opposite the front ones, like so:

Blue is front, Green is sub, Yellow is center, and Red is rear.

http://www.geocities.com/joeldk99/layout2.jpg

Once again, copy and paste the link to see it.

Anonymous
Thanks Joel. That was very helpful. I was actually thinking of doing the same thing. Let me know how it sounds.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us