PIONEER ELITE VSX-53TX OWNERS, PLEASE HELP!!!

Username: Harbolt

Post Number: 14
I currently purchased an Elite VSX-53TX receiver. The kicker here is that I am a totally blind individual but my wife is sighted. She will be the one helping me set this thing up. I would like to ask the owners of this model if there is any tricks to setting this thing up correctly? My wife hates electronics and hates setting them up so I am worried she might miss something. Any help or things that I should know about, would be greatly appreciated. Any settings I should watch for or any little tricks to setting certain parts of it up are the types of thinkgs I am asking about. If you need to email me, you can do so at:

harbolt@comcast.net

Thanks in advance.

Brent Harbolt

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 98
The best I can say is have her follow the instuctions in the basic setup section and that should be sufficient to get your system set up and balanced. Use the MCAAC balancing system and you'll be fine. You have purchased a great sounding unit and one that is very user friendly once set up. Good luck.

Post Number: 15
Thanks for the response. Do you find that the auto setup works well? Also, does the unit remember different settings for different components? For example, when I go to the radio, will it remember that I like to listen to 5 channel stereo and when I go to vcr, pro logic, etdc? Also, Can I turn a certain speaker off in the different component settings like turning the center channel off for 5 channel stereo but leave it on for surround sound dolby digital? I am sorry, I know these are a lot of questions but I have been so used to my old receiver that I am not following everything in this manual very well. Thanks.

Brent

Post Number: 101
Yes it will remember whatever setting a particular input has been set to. I did not use the auto setup myself as I prefer to use my sound level meter but several people on this site have said they have used it and it works well. As far as your question about speakers I don't think it will do what you said but I have not tried to do thjis on my Elite 45.

Post Number: 16
There is another thinkg that I am a little confused about. The manual is saying that in a surround type setting like watching a dvd, you have to select one of the surround modes like thx cinema or neo 6. Is this correct? So, you can't just watch a movie in dolby digital or dts or is thx cinema basically what this is? I know I sound stupid but the manual was not real clear on this. Can you help? Thanks again.

Brent

Post Number: 103
For movies I would suggest leaving the signal select function to auto and the default settings which are thx cinema and prologicII. This will automatically default to whatever the dvd is and you can change the mode on your dvd remote from dolby digital to dts and so forth. When you hook up your dvd player to the receiver use a coax cable as this is the default for that digital input.

Post Number: 17
Hello again realelitefan. I wonder if you might help me out. I got my new vsx-53tx receiver set up and used the auto setting. Everything seems to be working well except for one thing. I am currently using a JBL PB12 powered subwoffer that is a 12:. When I was watching a movie today, I noticed that on some of the heavy bass scenes, my sub was, I guess you would call it, bassing out. It would make kind of a thonk sound. I noticed that when I turned the volume down, it did not do it. So, my question is this. Is there a setting on the receiver that will fix this or is it just that I need a better quality sub. The manual says that the frequency response on the sub is 25hz and on the receiver, the bass peak is set at -80hz. I do not understand all of this and would like some guidance if possible. Also, the auto setting put my front speakers at large but I had to change them to small because I was not getting the bass I wanted when listening to music. My front speakers are actually quite large and on my old receiver, I could have them large and have good bass coming out of the sub but on this receiver, I can have only either, or. Please help if possible. Thanks.

Brent

Post Number: 106
You have the settings correct so my only guesss is that you have the gain on the sub set to high. Turn it down a bit and the boominess should go away but you should still have decent bass. I usually have to turn my sun up for movies and down for music. See if that helps.

Post Number: 18
If I wanted to keep my sub set higher and my front speakers on large, could I adjust the crossover network to 100 or 150 and then set the bass peak? Would that work in not letting my sub distort but also let me get more bass for music by distributing equal bass to the front speakers as well as the sub? Is that feasible? Thanks.

Brent

Unregistered guest
There is an option to enable the subwoofer to "PLUS" under Speaker setup. This allows you to send bass info to the sub even when the main speakers are set to "Large".

If you do have the bass peak setting set at -80 Hz, you should be getting very little bass. Go through the peak level setup and increase the output level to a point where the sub begins to distort. I run my SVS sub with the bass peak level set to "off" on the receiver.

I also run all speakers at "large" and the sub at the "plus" setting. Depending on the receiver volume setting, you may want to enable the "loudness" funtion. This should enhance the lower frequency loudness until the output is ~-25 Db

Post Number: 19
Bnaegle. Thanks for all of the info. I think I might have found a happy medium. I went ahead and set the bass peak for about -22 and turned up my sub. I am still having to have the front speakers set at small but I think this setup might work. I guess it is just this model of receiver but when I set the fronts to large and have the sub set to on, on the receiver, I just don't get the bass I want for music. The movie bass is good but not the music. So, setting to small is, I guess, the best solution. I now have pretty good bass for both and my sub never distorts because of the bass peak. Thanks again for all of the info. AS far as the loudness, I kind of hate to turn that on. I will try it like it is and maybe turn it on later if need be.

Brent
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us