Anyone heard about Luxman C1000 preamp and M2000 power amp

BXT
Unregistered guest
I'm taking into consideration to buy second-hand Luxman preamp C1000 and power amp M2000. Anyone can help to tell their specs or your evaluation?

Thanks a lot

Username: Stez_head

Post Number: 6
i cant tell you theire specs but their really good.

Unregistered guest
look at:
www.hilberink.nl/codehans/luxman.htm

des
Unregistered guest
hi the m2000 is rated at approximately 150wrms per chanel,wieghs about 20-25kg(50-55pounds)is a single power supply,dual mono design,uses 4 transistors per chanel(toshiba 2sd427 and 2sb557)is a clean sounding amp with good sound staging and detail.the "m series"originally designed by tim de paravicini while he worked for luxman in the mid seventies to early eighties.the amp was produced between 1976-1979 and cost $1000 us dollars.i hope this info helps with your search des

Unregistered guest
See my reply to MYRANTZ 03/27.

Unregistered guest
Don't know if you're still checking here for responses but here goes. From "The Complete Buyer's Guide to Stereo/HiFi Equipment", Feb. 1978: "M-2000, $995; power: 120W/CH; 0.05%THD; DF 100;0.8V In. Sens. The Lux "M" series of power amplifiers is characterized by conservative designs, elegant appearance and quality workmanship. The M-2000, while quite a bit more expensive than other amps in its power class, must be considered as a good value, for it is the type of product that will last. And as far as sound quality is concerned, we have only to point out that many high-end speaker companies use Lux amps to demonstrate their speakers at trade shows." "Popular HiFi" an English publication from Oct. 1979 has an interview with Tim Paravincini where he discusses briefly his foray into design work for Lux in 1972 where he helped design the C1000 preamp and M4000 power amp which, "in his words, (were) the first generation of Japanese super-spec amps." It is an interesting read 25 years down the road as he discusses his approach to the use of negative feedback and the Japanese obsession with specifications, the general "lack of inventiveness" of the Japanese products and "The problem becomes 'what are you going to feature on your amplifiers?'" as a response to design driven by marketing. "High Fidelity's Test Reports" from 1977 states the original price of the C-1000 at $895 and reviews the piece with phrases as follow; "the number of controls it presents exceeds the usual plethora by a wide margin". The next nine paragraphs are devoted to a description of those features. The performance is described as such: "at ... 2 volts, THD is less than 0.0064% for all conditions, and intermodulation distortion is 0.002% or less." "No concessions are made to quadriphonics, present or future ..." "The unit is designed more for complete convenience than for elaborate signal processing - in short it is more a Rolls Royce than a Ferrari. But if you are a sybriatic audiophile with the budget to match, the C-1000 will pamper you as few preamps can." If you have not purchased this product I would suggest you find out who can and will service these pieces as Lux disowned many of the exotic products they produced as early as the mid 80's. Lux has changed ownership and most importantly U.S. distributorship several times which can present overwhelming if not insurmountable challenges to parts replacement for product from a company that sold a tube amplifier designed around an already obsolete tube number just because it was the best sounding amp they had ever heard. If you are now the owner of this equipment let me direct you to a response I wrote to Gig who owns a McIntosh MA6100 from the same period. The suggestions are about getting the most from a piece of equipment that has some years on it and can be found in the "amps" section under the rough heading of "amplifier for Maggies". If you are interested, contact me and I will arrange to get you the full review and the accompanying charts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us