Integra DTC-9.4 Preamp

Chuck W.
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have any experience or opinions on the Integra preamp?
I really would like to buy the Antem AVM20, but can't afford it right now. The Integra unit seems to have good specs and functionality at $1k or so less. thanks

James Wayne
Unregistered guest
Chuck,

Take a look at the B&K reference 50, it falls into the same price range as the DTC-9.4. I tried both of them and I bought the B&K.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 192
Chuck:

I have been very un-impressed by Integra gear and I would suggest two pre/pros I like much better. The first is the NAD T163, which is just out and it is a killer. MSRP is $1500, but can be had for $1200, perhaps a bit less. Now the interesting thing about this unit is that I have heard it and compared it directly to the Anthem, and the NAD runs rings around the Anthem, IMHO. My local NAD/Anthem dealer has told me they are likely to drop the Anthem because the NAD was so good. Seems NAD, in designing the unit, used the Anthem as its target to beat, according to this dealer. I would say they succeeded.

The other one I think is amazing, especially for the price, is the Outlaw 950, available directly from Outlaw for $795. Now this is the same unit as the Sherbourne pre/pro which goes for $1500. I would highly recommend this pre/pro. I don't think it is as good as the NAD, but it comes close.

I believe both are a class or two above the Integra in sound quality.

BTW, I would also agree that the B&K is a great unit, too.

Username: Triedit

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 1
Hawk, The old saying that sound is subjective really is true.
NAD does not run rings around Anthem in any area in my humble opinion.
NAD has only the bare minimum of features and to my knowledge has not offered any upgrades. As for sound, Anthem is superior to me and everyone that I have talked to who compared the two.

A good friend of mine worked at a local high end store (Krell, Integra, Classe, Anthem, Wilson, JM Labs, etc). He now sells NAD, B&K, B&W, Lexicon, etc.) Although he does not admit to his customers he steered me to the Anthem when I was looking to upgrade from Rotel processor.

NAD is very good at the price point but I did not find it comparable to Anthem.

I have owned B&K and a close friend currently has B&K Ref 30. Both mine and his have had problems although the sound is very good.

Now to you Chuck. Integra probably has more features that NAD but I think you will find NAD to sound better. Please do your own auditions and do not buy on other recommendations. As you can see opinions on sound are highly subjective to the listener. You will also notice if you read many responses on this forum that there are biased opinions. You should be cautious of them.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1010
i would look at the b&k ref 50 "recent price reduction"

or the rotel 1068 "which i really like for the price"

Unregistered guest
First of all the B&K reference 50 is a horrible machine. Sonically and ergonomically. The ref. 50 sonically is mute, dull, and often dry. AVM -20 is nice. It has customobility and sounds very good on most formats. It lacks however upsampling. Don't let cost fool you. Because something is cheaper it doesn't mean that It can't perform up to the test. Having said this Integra DTC-9.4 uses the same DAC's as the Proceed AVP2 now Mark Levinson line. Doesn't have upgradability however. Be honest, do companies want to sell themselves out of business. Heck no! Upgradability is a time stamp. Nothing more. Five years, you'll be looking for a new processor. The 9.4 has upsampling and also features transcoding - often mistaken for upsampling; not true you processor would have to possess a video scaler to complete the task of upsampling. Sonically, the DTC-9.4 is liberation. Two channel upsampling ooooooohhhh my God! I'm not saying this machine is the best, but you'll be hard damn pressed to find something that out performs it under 6000.00's.

Bronze Member
Username: 514329

Post Number: 24
if the B&K ref 50 ver 1.04 cost $1299.00 brand new at an authorized dealer, would u pass on it?

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1676
not suggesting anything, but where can you get a ref 50 for 1299.

I'd like to get one!

the best I'm coming up with is about 2200!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
at Listen Up here in Denver. B&K Ref 50 Ver 1.04 & 7270 7ch 200 watts for $3200.00 + 3.9% tax.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1678
what about just the prepro?

not in a package deal just the processor.

usually when they pair them then both are discounted.
but I wonder what just the prepro is?
would they mark that back up?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
I'm not sure but u can call them. they do have a website ( Listenup.com ) and talk to bob carver. at that time, I need A whole set of equipment after selling all my stuff back in FL. and between Denon 5803 and Yam Z9, B&K wins handsdown base on the price he gave me even if I get 20% on those other 2.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1679
Allright.

Just when you said:

"B&K ref 50 ver 1.04 cost $1299.00 brand new"

Made me stand up and take notice because i've been looking at
the ref 50 and the ref 30 with the 31 upgrade.

And for all I can find the ref 30 will cost me 1299 without the upgrade.

So that's why i was considering the rotel stuf.

At 1299 for the ref 50 that's an incredable price.

I've got all my amps, just looking for the prepro to top it off.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
yeah. it was factory sealed and close in a box and I insisted to opening it bec. I read a review on one magazine that I should look for Ver. 1.03 w/c they fix some bug and when we fired it up right there in the store, the front LCD lighted up and indicated it is ver. 1.04.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1680
so 514329 you bought it?

if you did good job, great price.

did you get the amp 2 or are u using something else.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
I got both the processor and the amp. it was a 1 second decission and I got the reciept for it.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1684
Well it sounds like you got a nice price.

That amp is suppose to be really nice too but I didn't want to spend
that much all at once.

so I kept building up my amps until I had 7.1 then went looking for the prepro!

I'm running tube amps all the way around now!
Just finished the upgrades to the last one, they sound sweet!

enjoy, see yu!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
right on, I definetely am enjoying it bec. it was a bargain of a price but believe it or not, it has about 105 hrs only on it since I got it last week of Jan. 04 ( that's according to my projector bulb ). I too was looking for tube amp but the lowest price I got was $3500.00 for a 5 ch. ur doing great buddy. thanks, talk to u later.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us