What speaker wire should i opt for.?.

creed
Unregistered guest
i have a home theatre system with a Marantz receiver, sometimes i just wondering whether i should upgrade my wire for better quality, i don't know whether bi-wiring will make better effect, but i have heard that in home theatre system, single-wiring is more than sufficient, now i am using the Cambridge 16gauge wire for all the speaker except the front, the front i am using the DIY (do it yourself) CAT5 biwiring, any speaker cable with great price/performance ratio to recommend.?.

and i have a subwoofer, and actually the receiver have a fixed crossover at 100hz which i not really like, and if i using the single wiring for my front speaker and connect it using high level to the subwoofer, will it ok.?.i heard that in home theatre system, a subwoofer is best connected using the low level method, which means a single rca cable from the receiver's Sub-Preout...any opinions on here.?.thanks

Username: Valeem

Post Number: 28
Regarding your subwoofer connection:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/articles/faq/lfeconnection/connecting.shtml

Personally I use the low level for movie use and high level for stereo use (source direct gives the best performance).

I would also advise you buy/borrow an SPL meter for accurate setup of speaker levels. This will help you get the most from your system.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 244
This is an affordable upgrade speaker wire - received good reviews at hifichoice - Ixos 6003 (or better) at www.accessories4less.com

They do make a small difference - especially on better equipments. About 5% of the cost on cables is good.

creed
Unregistered guest
valeem :
are you means that i can connect both the low and high level at the same times.?.but what's the point?

are u means that during stereo playback, when we choose "Source Direct" then it won't output anything to subwoofer, but since we connected as "high level", the crossover of the subwoofer will be activated, thus the sub is working, while if its in the movie, when the sub sense the LFE from receiver, then the built-in crossover is automatically disable...am i get it correctly?

Post Number: 30
Yes you can connect both low and high level at the same time. No problem!

When you use the source direct feature then your receiver will not send a signal through the low level connection. So in order to make use of your subwoofer in source direct then you need to supply your subwoofer with a signal through the high level connection.

I would advise you to set your front speakers to small in the speaker setup menu in order for you to hear more midrange detail and leave your subwoofer to deal with what it was designed for. That being bass duty.

I think you understand correctly. Any problems report back.

creed
Unregistered guest
so in the movie, when the sub sense the LFE signal from receiver, apparently the built-in crossover on the sub will be deactivate, and then i want to know, when the sub just producing the LFE signal using its built-in amp, then the front speaker is driven by my receiver or the subwoofer's amp.?.sorry if this is a stupid question, i just curious and want to know about it, and if i connect both High and Low level, means i am using single wire, will i get lesser quality compare to the biwiring i am using now.?.

Post Number: 33
Using both low and high level connections at the same time will only ever run your subwoofer and your subwoofer will never run your speakers. Don't worry! There is no need to biwire your subwoofer, it does not help any. Just sit back and enjoy! How does it sound to you? Is your subwoofer active in both movie and stereo use?

creed
Unregistered guest
i am not saying biwire my subwoofer, but in order to connect the front speaker to subwoofer as "HIGH LEVEL", i only can use single wiring to do so right.?.so will my front channel suffer from quality loss since now i am using biwiring to my front channel...sorry if i annoyed u

Username: Unicronwmd

Post Number: 16
I am getting my 1st sub tomorrow, so I am not the best person to give advice on this subject but:-) Why don't you just take the 1 speaker wire for the woofer and send that to the sub? The other wire would stay there for your higher frequencies. That way you can still biwire your front speakers. Remember, the sub only cuts off the lower frequencies.

Post Number: 34
You did not annoy me. Use three wires to connect your subwoofer to the speaker terminals at the back of your receiver. Look at the original information I provided here:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/articles/faq/lfeconnection/connecting.shtml

Where the diagram for the High Level connection shows one wire from the subwoofer this indicates a speakon connection, where all three wires are housed in one connector, and your subwoofer may not have this. So connect the corresponding coloured terminals at the back of you subwoofer to the ones at the back of your receiver. Sorry for the confusion.

Your front channels should not suffer any loss because your subwoofer will only take the signal, and no power, as the subwoofer is self powered.

Post Number: 35
BTW which model of Mirage subwoofer do you have?

Post Number: 36
Mirage recommend not using both low and high levels simultaneously. Make sure that when using either connection that the other is not sending a signal. Read your receiver manual to get this correct.

Post Number: 37
In the case of your subwoofer use four wires (two pairs) and connect them to the same terminals at the back of your receiver. Again sorry for the confusion but some subs are different to others i.e. speakon connections use three wires and other designs use four.

creed
Unregistered guest
yeah, my Mirage subwoofer is the BPS150, and i think i really fall into a deep confusion, if i want to use the high level input, i need to connect a pair of wire from the receiver's front's speaker output to the speaker in on the mirage, then connect another pair of wire from the Mirage speaker's out to the Mission speaker, if i doing so, how would i possible get to biwire my mission speaker, i really don't understand...

and for the diagram inside the link you posted here, it confused me even further on, why there are 3 wire (black, red and yellow) connected from the receiver's speaker output to the subwoofer, sorry coz my english is not that good and sometimes its hard for me to understand whatever you try to say...

really sorry about that...

Post Number: 38
Do not connect your sub to your speakers. It is not necessary. Just connect your sub to your receiver. You have now finished the high level connection. Well done!

Now read your receiver manual to set your bass management correctly so you don't run both high and low at the same time. OK.

creed
Unregistered guest
if i run the Receiver's front speaker's out to the subwoofer high level input, and you asked me not to connect the sub's high level output to the speaker...then where should i connect my speaker to?..i am really don't understand that is why i keep asking...sorry guy

creed
Unregistered guest
http://www.pbase.com/leealan82/sharing

i posted both the picture of my subwoofer high level and low level connection, may be you guy can enlighten me up, looking at the "Speaker level" connection, how can i not connect the front speaker to the subwoofer speaker's out? coz the subwoofer already take up the Receiver speaker's out doesn't it?

Post Number: 39
Connect your speakers only to you receiver.

Username: Creed

Post Number: 3
then if i only connect the speaker to my receiver, and the single rca cable from receiver's LFE out to the subwoofer low level in, so where to connect the highlevel then.?.i know i looks stupid, but i really confuse, this is the last time i am asking then, if i dunno still, i may just as well forget about that, coz i felt i annoyed u to keep answer my "stupid" questions...but as i said, after connect the speaker to receiver's speaker terminal, the terminal already taken up, then where i can connect from receiver to the subwoofer's high level.?.

sorry for needing u to keep guiding me..

Post Number: 40
High level also to your receiver.

Post Number: 4
so means a speaker terminal need to take in two wire right.?.one wire for the speaker, and the other one to the subwoofer's high level in...

http://www.pbase.com/image/24994811

see the sketch i made, is that what you means.?.thanks

Post Number: 42
Correct! Well Done Gan. How does it sound?

Post Number: 5
i'll connect it later today since now i am quite busy then, i will let you know how does it sounds..thanks valeem, i really appreciate your help...

Post Number: 6
yeah valeem, i just tested it and it work...but when i playing dvd, the bass sounds a bit weird, i think my subwoofer just can't couple with two input nicely then, but when it is in stereo, it sounds fabulous...

anyway, if its in the stereo mode, since i just send the signal to the subwoofer's high level input, and if i set the crossover at the sub at 80hz, means the sub will handle frequency below 80hz, but how about my front channel, i suppose the receiver still sending full range signal to the front channel right.?.

Post Number: 7
yeah valeem, i just tested it and it work...but when i playing dvd, the bass sounds a bit weird, i think my subwoofer just can't couple with two input nicely then, but when it is in stereo, it sounds fabulous...

anyway, if its in the stereo mode, since i just send the signal to the subwoofer's high level input, and if i set the crossover at the sub at 80hz, means the sub will handle frequency below 80hz, but how about my front channel, i suppose the receiver still sending full range signal to the front channel right.?.

Post Number: 43
You will need to set the crossover on your sub seperately for either movie and stereo use. Set it at 100hz for movies and whatever your speakers lowest frequency is for stereo, probably around 50hz.

Post Number: 8
ok, really appreciate your help from the start of this thread, i really did...thanks a millions guy...u been great help from start till the end...

Username: John_a

Post Number: 93
It is great to see help given here.

Word of caution. Valeem wrote (Jan 8)

Yes you can connect both low and high level at the same time. No problem!

Valeem has an unusual and superior sub, a BK. BK and REL allow you to do this. My sub is more usual, I think, and has a big notice in the user manual saying do NOT do this. I do not know why. I am always tempted to try things when no explanation is given...

Username: John_a

Post Number: 94
In the excellent link Valeem gave (Jan 7) Stuart Wright writes:

You might choose to use this method of connection [speaker-level] in your home cinema setup at the same time as the low level input from the amp's LFE output. The problem with this method is that the high level input must have the sub's crossover set to integrate it with the speakers. At the same time, the LFE signal (20 to 120Hz) needs to be allowed through unhindered by any crossover. The subs which can be connected in this way must provide the ability to independently set the gain and crossover for both high and low level inputs. Plus the two inputs must be able to be used at the same time. There are very few subs which provide this facility - the latest range from REL (Q200,Q400, ST III range) are the only ones we know about at this time.

I still do not know what dire consequence there is in making both connections simultaneously.

Post Number: 44
So John, if Gan was to set the front speakers to small for movie use and set the crossover to 100hz then the high level is not in use?

When the front L and R speakers are set to large in stereo use and the Source Direct feature is used and also the crossover is set to 50hz then there is no signal going through the low level connection?

This will then mean that both high and low level are not in use simultaneously? Which is what the manufacturer warns against for some reason.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us