Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3 speakers with Marantz SR5300?

corsa
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I am going to be receiving a Marantz SR5300 within the next week or two, and I need to get some front speakers.

A local store has a pair of Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3 speakers on closeout, and I was wondering if this is a good match for the SR5300?

When I get the receiver, I am hoping to try them with my receiver before buying, but wanted to know if anyone has experience with this setup.

Also, what other speakers are a good match for the 5300? I would like to spend $500 or less, and will be using the system for about 60% music, 40% home theater. I won't be purchasing surround, center, or subs for some time though.

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 183
The speaker won the best prize in affordable category by Hifi choice.

You might want to add a sub - will add luxurius warmth.

I like this inexpensive sony - sa-wm200 (www.etronics.com) if you like boomy bass.

Username: Stone

Post Number: 11
I listened to them and personally I thought they were best sounding bookshelf at the 300.00 level. Best of the British speakers and better than all the Canadian entries as well. Very fast with great detail.
They are 6 ohm which wouldnt be problem with that receiver.

Post Number: 12
Oops, Sorry I thought you were talking about the Evo 1's. I have not heard the Aegis Evo 3. Also are you sure its one closeout? I thought the Aegis Evo series just replaced the original Aegis line.

corsa
Unregistered guest
Yeah, the dealer said the new version of the Aegis Evo 3 was slightly different than these. These were $499 for the pair.

I've been rethinking though, and considering going with bookshelf speakers instead.

corsa
Unregistered guest
Maybe these are Aegis 3 speakers instead of Aegis Evo 3 speakers?

Anonymous

I bet they are not the newer Evo's. Those are running 700.00 new. Go onto Acoustic Energy's website and see if you can compare. They two look slightly different.

corsa
Unregistered guest
Yes, I confirmed they are not the newer Evos, but last year's model.

I am seriously considering a pair of Evo 1 speakers. I have read the reviews saying they are great speakers, but how well do they match with the Marantz SR5300?

Post Number: 13
Sounds like a nice combo budget set up. You really aren't going to do much better with new equipment in your price range. Acoustic Engery makes a great center channel as well for HT.

corsa
Unregistered guest
Thanks Stone.

I guess my only reservation is that the reviews I have read have said the Evo 1 is a laid back speaker, and I'm concerned about matching that up with the laid-back Marantz receiver.

The dealer also is a Monitor Audio dealer, so I'm also going to listen to the Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers, from what I've read they may be a better match for the Marantz.

I'm just anxious to get my receiver (should be here this week) so I can take it to the dealer and listen to both pairs of speakers. :-)

Post Number: 14
If you can take your receiver in for a comparison, you're good to go. Both are fine British speaker manufacturers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us