To Sony or not to Sony....that's my question.

I am in the process of researching home theater speakers in order to upgrade from what I currently have (a Kenwood 5.1 "in box" system). I am working on a fairly limited budget, but constatly come across higher-end speakers such as Klipsch, Mirage, B.A., etc. that claim to have crisp, clear, detailed sound at any volume.
Well, I want that same type of quality, but can't afford to pay for it.

I have been looking at Sony speakers that are much, much cheaper and wonder if anyone has experience with their quality in a DVD environment? I am in a room that's (14 x 35) with a 10' ceiling.

Floorstanding: Sony -> SSM-F600H
Center: Sony -> SS-CN495H
Powered Sub: suggestions?

These speakers cost about 10% of the high-end speakers. Should I expect speakers that sound 90% worse? They seem to get good reviews from owners, but maybe the owners have never heard anything else. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Never get speakers from company who make everything else...ie. sony, pioneer, onkyo..definately 10% cheaper, 90% worse...if you wnat to get a system which is cheap..try mirage, or AR, or JBL...for better quality try B&W, Monitor audio, Canton....Check out my post for B&W CDM

Anonymous
the newer line of sony speakers are actually quite good. easily as good as any mass market JBL's or AR's.

Anonymous
I'm basically in the same boat and I just picked up the SS-MB300H as fronts, and the SS-CR305 center/surround package. The surrounds leave a little to be desired, but the fronts and center are an incredible value for the money. They sound very good IMO.

which_Subwoofer
I have same feeling with the SONY. no kidding,

I have 2 pairs of speakers for over 15 years. EKF and Celetion 7 hook up to the stereo amp. I am very happy with those.
recently I have to step into the HT world. I got boss 301 $3xx EA and SONY $100 a pair. I was amazing that the SONY matches with my Celetion and KEF really good. With the price like that, I'll buy another pair of SONY as back.

I would spend $400-1000(no list yet, maybe Klipsch RSW, HSU, ...) for a good subwoofer to match the lower band. 600-1200 for a HT receiver (SONY DA4ES, Denon 3803, Pioneer)

I will probably stay with $100 a pair SONY speakers as SL,SF, BL,BF, maybe Center as well.
Until I happen to meet/hear the speakers I REALLY REALLY LOVE and would like to spend $500-1500 EA on that.

Isn't that funny?

meek
boss 301 @ 3XX each?

highly unlikely.

i think you meant bose 301 series V at 330 a PAIR

regarding the sony speakers all of the current ash grey speaker models are all on clearance everywhere, i actually saw a pair of 600's at frys electronics for about 160 dollars or so
for that price i wouldve gotten them but they are discontinued.
personally i think the sony speakers sound like crap, the sound is really flimsy and distorted

but i only got the sawm40 sub 12 thats sony for 99, and thats an awesome deal, the sub normally goes for 200, it may not be able to hit deep lows but its still got tight bass, people say its too boomy, but then i like boomey since i listen to dance music all the time.

Anonymous
fluance

Anonymous
meek: their newer line of speakers with their new tweeter design for SACD and HOP cone design is not to bad. much better than their previous speakers which were total garbage. For mass market speakers they hold their own

Anonymous
BTW, I have the SS-MB300H fronts, ss-cn495h as center, SS-MB100H as surrounds. they make great speakers for HT. The fronts are not quite as good for music since they are acoustic suspension. Paired with a musical sub, they are not to bad. Can't be beat on the price. Less than $300 I paid for the entire package

meek
ive listened to their new line of speakers, i listened to an 8" sub which actually sounds worse then last years model, and two new book shelves containing(supposed) yellow kevlar drivers with tweeters made of a material resembling tissue paper. the casing is now made of ash grey wood.

and you know what? these bookshelfs sound exactly the same as last years model, with what seems to be the same price as last years model,

anoymous, before you start praising these new sony speakers, have you auditioned them? i have, and it seems its more of a cosmetic upgrage, rather then sound since these sound identical to last years models.

Any opinons of if the fluance SX-HTb would sound better than the new sony 650H with 250H and 550centre ???
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us