How Much is ENOUGH???

Username: Bonedaddy

Post Number: 1
It's time to update my Sony / Energy Encore system to a real Hi-Fi surround. I have been doing my homework both on-line and at the local dealer. I have basically narrowed it down to two systems that are on two different levels (both $$$ and quality) and I was hoping to get a little guidence.

First I should state the conditions. The system will be used in a 33 x 17 room with vaulted ceilings. My listening will be divided about 60/40 (Movies/ music).

Here goes:
System #1
Marantz 7400 @ 105W
Paradigm Moniitor 7's (floor), CC370 (center), ADP 370's (rear)
PS1000 10" sub
cost - approx $3200

System #2
Marantz 6300 reciever/ MM9000 Amp @ 150W
Paradigm Studio 60's(floor), CC470 (center), ADP 470's (rear)
PS1000 10" sub
cost - approx $4400

After doing my homework, I have only seen how these two differ in quality, but I could not hear these two systems side by side. They just weren't available. I have listened to the studio 60's in the showroom extensively, and am told that the monitor series will come close. I guess I'm just wondering how close given the $1200 price difference.

Can you help me out???

Username: Edison

Post Number: 185
Energy is good sounding - you might want to upgrade your reciever first, and see if you are satisfied with it.

These might do the trick:

Panasonic sa-xr45 (search online)
Outlaw 1050 (used on www.audiogon.com)

If you want bigger sound, than Paradigm floor models will give you that - but not necessarily better sound - Energy got good reviews from the pros.

Which Sony is it?

You know about the diminishing return as we go to higher end - we gotta pay a lot more to get a little improvement. Since you already have nice speakers, you might just try one of the above receivers ($300 each), and save money.
That probably is enough for movies.

Do you have a sub? If not, I would get one. Even a sony sub sa-wm200 (www.etronics.com) can add luxurius warmth to the sound.

You can get good sound for less if you are choosy. To get something better, you have to pay a lot more to get a little improvement over panasonic / energy combination.

Username: Bonedaddy

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply James.

I've actually added a room to my house. So now I have a need for 2 systems. I figured I would take the lower end system (BTW, it's a Sony STR DE725) downstairs. The bonus room upstairs is pretty big and will be used as a entertainment center for movies, music, sports and shooting pool while your doing all of this. :o)

So like you mentioned, bigger, less focused, sound quality is what I'm looking for. I'm just wondering "how big" do I REALLY need??? This is driving me crazy! I need to make a decision today.

Thanks again for your help!

Username: Johnnyness

Post Number: 15
If you must choose today and you are going to pick between the monitors and the studios, and you can afford the more expensive system, I'd buy the studios. I listened to the two side by side, back and forth and side by side again and was going to choose the Studios until I decided on JM labs. I also have a big room and needed to upgrade to some bigger floor standing speakers. Good luck

Username: Edison

Post Number: 195
You are basically on the right track - it is one of the best sounding system for the money.

Unless you want to get it used on www.videogon.com and get more quality.

I personally prefer Onkyo receivers (801)- rich and smooth sounding - can be hooked up to a computer as well - improve on the soundcard. This way, you will have a huge library at your disposal if you listen to music a lot.

This speaker won many awards - they sell direct cutting out the middleman, so they can give twice the value if not more. You might want to consider them - They are not far behind the Paradigms for a lot less.

If you bought it already, you made a good choice - should sound decent.

Have them throw in some speaker cables suitable for the level - they do make a difference. I like ixos 6003 speaker cable - affordable upgrade (www.accessories4less.com)

You should end up with a sweet system,

Enjoy...

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us