CD/DVD Player to go with Onkyo TX-DS-696

Username: Rollufie

Post Number: 1
I am currently building up a new audio system and am wondering if it necessary renew my old CD player and dvd players for a new one with better audio quality. As I am quite new in hifi-world, I could use some advise on this subject. The questions below might be quite basic, sorry for that.

My setup is:
* Onkyo TX-DS-696 receiver
* Mission 780 speakers
* Philips DVD-761 DVD Player (3 years old)
* Sony basic cd player CDP-411 (10 years old), connected optically to receiver

1. If a digital cable from the CD or DVD player to the receiver bypasses their DAC's and uses the Onkyo (receiver) DAC, does that mean there is less difference in audio quality between seperate CD players and DVD players?

2. If 1. is true, would that mean I do not need to buy a new DVD/CD player and that more expensive players do not have any advantages for audio playback? What would then justify the difference between a 500 EURO player and a 1500 euro one??

3. Looking at specifications, what are the parameters to look at and to compare between diffent players

4. If a new player is recommendable, what would you advise. If am thinking about a Onkyo/Denon one in the 500 - 800 EURO range. How would you connect this one to the receiver?

I know it's a lot of questions, thanx in advance for your help!

Username: Gman

Post Number: 86
#1--Depending on the DVD or CD player you should be able to get to the menu and not use the players DAC and use the receivers DAC. The same is for the receiver menu--you open up the menu and either use it or not for playback.

As I haven't looked at your models, you will either have to read the manuals or open the menu's and see if these procedures can be done. Often on older player they don't have this flexibility--but you will never know until you read the manual or try and open the menu.

2. In most cases it will not be likely you will hear any audible differences. Video differences is a different issue. Many older models have had chroma bugs and other non-flat and or noisy video response. This will mostly be noticeable if you have HDTV. On a standard tv you are much less likely to notice differences.

3. I wouldn't get hung up on specs on the audio section (they are all good)--get more interested on the features and what you want the player to do and how comfortable you are with the remote. The video performance varies far more.

Your biggest decision is if you want a universal or plain DVD player. Or a player that adds SACD (which would have to be a Sony or Philips). Better to have the flexibility and get one with both DVD-A and SACD (a universal player)

4. The new Denons are very good. Being an American I am not sure if the model numbers are the same. Also, are you looking for a plain DVD player, one w/DVD-Audio or a universal one with DVD-Audio and SACD? All the DVD players will play cd's and most MP3's.

The Denon 2900 is a very good universal dvd player that lists at $999 and can be bought in the US at $800. It plays videos and cd's excellently and is built like a tank. Hopefully it is available under 800 Euro's--it should be, depending on how bad the VAT is there. Otherwise you may have to go down one level in Denon players--but most are all very good now as they have removed all the chroma bugs.

Connect optically or coax digitally for cd connections and DVD video. For SACD and DVD-A the connections are all analogue interconnects to your receiver.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 238
Check out LiteOn Lvd 2001 or 2002. They have good audio section, and plays many DVD formats. The 2001 is better if you can find one. They are inexpensive and good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us