DIY 2-way bookshelf project

Bronze Member
Username: Nm2285

Delaware

Post Number: 15
I recently designed and built a 2-way bookshelf speaker project. I'm thrilled with the results. They've replace my NHT SB2s. Their overall clarity, detail, and soundstage have thoroughly impressed me. Their one weakness is a bit of bass deficiency (+/- 3dB at 67 Hz). I had a sub going into the project, so this didn't bother me too much. Here's a brief design description in case it inspires anyone:

Drivers: Peerless 850122
Vifa XT19
Approximate volume of enclosure: .52 cu ft.
External Dim of enclosure: 9.5"x10.5"x14"
Material: 3/4" MDF

Crossover: 4th Order Linkwitz-Riley at 2700 Hz (this avoids distortion in the Vifa and a bit of unevenness in the Peerless).

I offset the center of the tweeter 1 inch from the center of the midrange. One brace (3x8) was attached to the back and sides. The box was sealed using polyurethane glue. The drivers were flush mounted. Most materials were purchased from Madisound; they were great to deal with.

I also made my own stands for them using some of the leftover MDF and PVC pipe. I connected the bases across the pipe using 3/8" all-thread rod. They are sand filled, attached to the PVC with polyurethane glue, and caulked to ensure a tight seal.

They're mated with a HK DVD101 and a NAD C370. The results of my first project are (IMO) outstanding.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us