Question about my new Marantz SR4300

Unregistered guest
I purchased a Marantz SR4300 a month and a half ago and overall am quite happy with it. My Speakers I had from before are Dahlquist PDQ-620's and I just purchased Athena AS-B2's as well as the Athena C1 Center Channel.

I notice a lot of people like the musical sound of the Marantz receiver's. I am very happy with the home theater sound but only somewhat happy with the musical sound. I am used to older amp's such as Sansui and Teac unit's from the 70's which put out a good bass thumping sound. I'm wondering why I can't seem to get any hint of deep bass even with bass turned up to +6db and the Speaker size set to large. Right now the receiver is completly amazing for classical or acoustic songs but really lacks for anything like Rap or Metal (I enjoy almost all genre's of music). My previous Amp, a 1976 Sansui AU101 was only 15watt's per channel but could really rock the house. I realize for a HT setup I really need a Subwoofer but it seems only logical that make use of the untapped resource.

Anyone have any insight? Doesn't need to be a solution even just a reason why.

Thanks!

Username: Edison

Post Number: 159
Most surround receivers don't do music very well.

You might try getting a sub - sony sa-wm200 (www.etronics.com $74).

If you are still unsatisfied, you can get an old unit from ebay - sansui (G9000 or G9700) or better yet Marantz 2270 receiver ($200). Make sure it's in working condition. They have warm sound - you have to pay a lot more today to capture that old sound.

If you want to go with a newer model, try NAD c320bee amp - (www.dmc-electronics.com $280 refurb) - it's pretty good, but the above 2 older units are still better.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us