Bose 3-2-1 vs. Athena'a

Username: Rfrcreed

OH

Post Number: 1
I am wondering which speakers are better? I like Bose 3-2-1 because of their size, but I also really like the Athena AS F-2's or the AS B-2's. I have listened to both of them at Best Buy and can't decide. I'm still learning about the sound systems so I was looking for some help. I am trying to decide which to shell out my hard earned money for and was looking for any suggestions. Thanks for the help.
RfrCreed

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 113
You don't mention what gear you will be hooking these speakers up to. You won't find many if any Bose supporters here as well. Also, what's your budget?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 663
Go to a specialty shop and hear some real speakers worth spending money on. The Athena's are fine but there is nothing in Best Buy worth a darn to drive them to give them a real test run. Do yourself a favor and go to a real store that sells real receivers
and you'll find lots of good choices. And by all means stay as far away from Bose as you can get.

Username: Vgtvidz

Post Number: 7
therealelitefan... as far as im concerned, bestbuy are selling high end H/K amp... so I believe he can get a good sound quality from thhose amps! To Richard, I heard both and I'd rather go with Athena than Boss, indeed, I'm planning on buying the Athena AS-B2

Username: Rfrcreed

OH

Post Number: 2
Is the Yamaha RX-V1400 any good, they have that at Best Buy and that's what I heard the Athena's on, and it sounded good to me and that was the reciever I was going to get.

Epic
Unregistered guest
If you like the size of the Bose but want better sound, check out the Orbs. www.orbaudio.com. There are a couple of happy owners on this board...

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 678
You guys must have super Best Buy stores because my local store does not sell H/K or the Yamaha RX-v line and they are not on Best Buy's website either. Are you sure you are talking about the same giant mass marketer as I am. Sure doesn't sound like it.

Username: Ryan1522

Post Number: 8
Circuit City sells HK for sure and I think Yamaha as well. Check them out

Anonymous

try www.jandr.com for H/K receivers, they are a lot cheaper than circuit city

Username: Solacerye

Dayton, OH US

Post Number: 1
Let me correct my good buddy Rich, with whom I work with AT HIS BEST BUY.
Anyways... I am the guy who recommended the Athenas to Rich, and I personally have the:
AS-F2's
AS-B2's
AS-C1
AS-P400

I have yet to hook them up because I wrecked my motorcycle, and set me back $2000.00. But, once I get back with it, I'm going to buy the Yamaha HTR-5790 from Best ($800, their best), and a TON of Monster Cabling and a Monster power box...

But, we do not sell H/K and do not sell the Yamaha RX-V1400. But, the HTR 5790 is a pretty good receiver, am I correct?

And what do you guys think about this set-up? Rich is thinking about getting the lower model receiver... the HTR 5760. What is the biggest differences... power, multi-zone, and component up-conversion. By the way, what is component up-conversion? And how important is the wattage difference? It's 980 watts compared to 770... big difference? And also... THX certified, how important?

Thanks a million, appreciate it, from Rich and I both... (he's sitting right here, ha)

-Solace

Username: Solacerye

Dayton, OH US

Can anyone respond to this, it's been awhile and we're still wondering if that's a good set-up?

thanks,
-Ryan

Username: Coxxx

Bellflower, Ca Usa

need help choosing the right speakers for my new sacd player. The problem is I have a tight budget and also have to consider the fact that I live in an aparment. Any suggestions for speakers under $300.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1727
Solace,
If you like the system, it should work for you. No on eelse can tell you that they are not worth anything if you like them. If you heard this system and liked them, then go get them.

andres,
check out the Fluance line of speakers, an excellent budget system.

cheers

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 308
andres....In this price range I would suggest Athenas, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2, and Monitor Audio B2. Depends on what other equipment you have to play these with

Epic
Unregistered guest
Pass on the 3 2 1 and stick to Athena or Orb Audio. If you want a system that plays "tricks" try the Hsu Ventriloquist.

Username: Sause

Post Number: 7
SolaceRye I have talked to the Yamaha people the RX-V 1400 is the same receiver as the HTR-5790 on the inside, the only difference is the face plate, circut city does not sell yamaha's, but I also like the Athena especially when hooked up to htr-5750,5760,5790.

Luis A.
Unregistered guest
ANDRES: Good speakers under $300: Axiom M3ti, Infinity Primus 160, Wharfedale Diamond 8.1. Even the JBL E-30's are decent.

RICHARD: Stay away from the Bose system...there's lots of options out there for that kind of money.

Good Luck...

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us