Looking for Floor Standing Speakers around $700

Username: Vjb

Post Number: 2
Hey guys,
I put a post a day ago but no one has responded except for one person. Can someone offer a sugestion of what kind of floor speakers I should get. I'm looking for around 700 bucks a pair and from what I've found I like the Monitor70's form Polk and the Beat 50s from Infinity. Is there any other brands I should look at before making a choice and if not which of these I choose would you purchase.

Bronze Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 99
If you let people know what kind of other equipment you have along with what your primary purchase would be i.e. movies, music then I think you will get a better response. So far I can think of quite a few speakers that would be better (imho) than what you have mentioned so far

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 653
For $700 look no further than the Paradigm Monitor 7. You don't say what you will be driving these speakers with and that would help but for the money I have not heard a floorstander in this price range that can beat the 7's. If you like Polk's look at the RTi8. Much nicer than the Monitor 70 IMO and can be had from Crutchfield now for under $700 if my memory is correct. Polk and Paradigm have very different sonics so be careful what you match with them. The Polk's need a smooth, warm receiver or they are too bright while the Paradigm's do better with a receiver that's a bit brighter and thinner like Yamaha and Denon.

Silver Member

Post Number: 654
Let me revise my comments about the Polk 70 and the RTi8. I should not have said the the RTi8 is "much nice" than the 70. I have not heard the 70 enough to make that claim. I have always liked the RTi series so I let that get in the way of being fair. Unfortunatly the only Polk dealer in most parts of the country is Circuit City and they no longer carry the RTi line, only the Monitor so you can't do a comparison. I do have a store 50 miles away that carries the RTi's but in any regard the Polk's are not as good as the Paradigm 7 IMO anyway.

Silver Member

Post Number: 655
I talked to Polk and the RTi series is above the Monitor series and use better drivers. I asked if he thought the RTi8 would sound better than the 70's and he said yes because of the drivers. He also said they developed the Monitor series expressly for Circuit City.

Post Number: 3
Ok well what about to Infinity Beta 50s anyone have an opinion on them. I got a price quote for the polk RTi10 and it was 849.00 with shipping. A quote on the Betas was 680.00. and the Monitor 70's was 630.00 Anyone know a good site purchase from or is that a good deal. I'll be pushing these with a HK AVR230. I really want to get something that I know will last and has a great warrenty and I won't have problems with. I listen to music and watch movies all the time so I'm kinda lost with all these different speakers. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 657
Vincent,
For your H/K I like the Polk's best. I suggest you get a quote on the RTi8 also. Believe it or not Crutchfield has excellent prices on Polk's right now. I believe the 8's are about $630 pair. Check them out. As I said before the RTi series is better than the Monitor series. They will be a very nice match with your H/K.

Sdynamite
Unregistered guest
I am also deciding floor speakers - I have a Sony ES1000 receiver. Would the Rti8 be a better choice for me than the Monitor 70's? Use my rec. for mainly music - rock/funk/elctric jazz. Tx- Mike

Silver Member

Post Number: 668
Neither Polk would be a good match with a Sony. Sony's are the brightest receivers I have ever heard so I suggest you check out the Paradigm Monitor 7. It will help tame the Sony and give you a full soundstage. PSB Image series would also be a good choice if you have a dealer nearby.

Bronze Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 56
Hey Vincent,

Over here in the UK, Focal Jmlab Chorus 714S speakers retail for the equivalent of around $700. Make sure they're the 714'S' since the range was updated a short while ago. They're very nice speakers indeed with an excellent sound and the finish is excellent for the money.

Alternatively there are the B&W DM602.5 speakers for similar money.

Regards,
Frank.

Sdynamite
Unregistered guest
therealelitefan - Tx for your thoughts re: my Sony 1000ES. you said that sony's are bright sounding - a good match for Paradigm or PSB. My receiver is the 1000ES, which is the only analog model of the ES line up. Is it your understanding that the 1000ES is bright as well as the 2000/5000 (digital models)? I appreciate your help

Silver Member

Post Number: 669
All I can say is any Sony receiver I have ever heard has been very bright to my ears. You will be doing yourself a favor if you check out the Paradigm 7. Just a wonderful speaker in it's price range and as I said a good match with any brighter brand such as Sony, Denon or Yamaha. Let me know what you think if you get a chance to hear them and good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Look4sun

Post Number: 14
Just to add, I think Paradigm Monitor 7 is better on music (jazz, instrumental) and not so good on rock music.
For home theatre, I will think twice on Paradigm Monitor 7 except you can afford the Studio Series.
But, this is just my opinion.

Marc C
Unregistered guest
Vincent,

I would recommend some Meadowlark Kestrels or Green Mountain Europa's off Audiogon. Both stellar, and excellent value - especially the Kestrels, on the used market. Could quite possibly do very well for you.

Regards,

Marc

Post Number: 6
Ok do you all know any good place to purchase speakers at a cheeper pricing. I decided to go with the Polk RTi10's and put in a little extra cash. I really enjoyed these when I heard them. I got an offering of 850 with shipping. What do you all think??? Can I do better??? Let me know. Thanks everyone for your input on the speaker selections.

Sdynamite
Unregistered guest
What are the thoughts about matching Athena AS-F2 speakers with my Sony amp? Are Athenas on the bright side - and not a great match for SOny>?

Bronze Member
Username: Cornelius

Post Number: 47
Definitely try Meadowlark Kestrels (the original version) on audiogon. They are in a different league than anything new for that price. You'll never look at Polk, paradigm... the same again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 671
Vincent,
$850 seems like a decent price on the RTi10's. They should match well with your H/K so go for it and enjoy. Good luck.
Sdy,
I have not heard the Athena's so I can't really answer but from what I have read they sound like they would match your receiver ok. Best Buy sells both brands so go hear them for yourself and let me know what you think. I don't get to BB very often myself.

Marc C
Unregistered guest
Cornelius,

Do you prefer the originals to the Hotrods? Elaborate please as I am interested. I've heard tons about both, and am going to get a pair soon meself. (Who can beat them at the used price they go for?)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us