Speakers for Apartment?

Todo
Unregistered guest
I might be making a move to an apartment. What sort of speakers would be recommended for 80% movies and 20% music?

Would a single pair of high quality bookshelves or floorstanders be sufficient?

Or should I got a full 5.1 with cheaper bookshelves or satellites and a sub.

Or maybe 5.1 bookshelves without a sub?

What would be recommended for apartment living.

Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 47
80% movies = 5.1 in my book. I suggest that as it's an apartment, you won't be wanting to wake those nice people below you so have an inward firing (as opposed to floor-firing) sub if possible. Really small satellites have problems in terms of integration, usually because the sub has too much work to do. There are exceptions such as the Elac Cinema 3 system (a fine system indeed) or the Jamo 325 system, which has a sub that can be wallmounted.

If there's a little more money in the kitty, consider bookshelf systems such as Totem Dreamcatcher or Dynaudio 42's. Note - bookshelf does not mean that the speakers work best on a bookshelf, just that they'd fit on one. Generally, most bookshelf speakers work best on dedicated stands.

You haven't mentioned electronics in all this. The better the speaker system, the better the electronics need to be to drive it. Jamo make an all-in-one box called DV-R50 which drives the Jamo speakers and the Elacs very well indeed. The Dyns and Totems would need a more capable system and there's loads of makes to choose from including, in no particular order, NAD, Rotel, Marantz, Pioneer, Denon, Arcam.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 48
By the way, don't discount the importance of the sub, it really makes a big difference...

Todo
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the advice. I would probably be purchasing a marantz sr4500 when they come out. Im a bit worried by the use of a sub in an apartment still. I was looking at the Focal.JMLab chorus 707s:

http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/home/chorusS/c707s.htm

My thinking is quality over quantity, but buying a full 5.1 really limits my budget and so I wouldnt be able to get as nice?

Todo
Unregistered guest
Also I wouldnt be cranking it loud, so would the sub really help still at low volumes?

Bronze Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 49
I know the Chorus 707s and they're very nice speakers for the money. The Chorus centre is also a good speaker. I suggest that if money is that tight, start with the 5.0 scenario and eventually add the Chorus sub to go with them. This is also inward firing so it won't rock the neighbours too much.

The sub makes a substantial difference to the soundscape because it extends the frequency response of the system. This is irrespective of volume, so yes it's a nice thing to have.

That said, I prefer quality over quantity so go for the best quality you can and add the sub later. Go much below the Chorus range and quality begins to suffer. I should have mentioned focal jmlab earlier - they're good speakers. If money was available you could go for the 714s at the front. That would improve scale quite a bit. The reason I mentioned the Dyns and Totems is that I thought space would be at a premium and those speakers are smaller than the 707s.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 94
todo...what is your budget?

Todo
Unregistered guest
$1000AU for speakers, the 707's are RRP $1000AU so whatever they are in american prices is my budget.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
Ok...looks like the convertion to U.S dollars would be $700 roughly. If movies are your thing then 5.1 is the ONLY way to go as you will not be getting any surround sound from 2-3 front/center speakers. It will be tough to get by on $700 and seeming as though I have no idea what brands are available to you I would probably be of no help.

I would suggest going to your local stores and listening to what is available in your price range and location and then reporting that information on this forum for discussion. Maybe that will help narrow down your choices. Sound and Vision magazine has a "shootout" of budget 5.1 systems in this months issue so that might be another source of information for you. Good luck to you!

Todo
Unregistered guest
Well what if I got a kickass pair of bookshelves or even the floorstanders such as the chorus 714s or monitor audio bronze b4, both around $1100-$1200, and then bought cheap centre and rears such as the ones sold in a pack here, for less than $200AU:

http://www.zensonic.com.au/press_20040831.php

Then I could view to saving up and upgrading the centre and rears later on, rather than go all out buying cheaper stuff now?

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
Cheap surrounds not a bad idea for the time being but a cheap center channel is a bad idea for movies. This speaker is crucial to the home theater sound as it carries your dialog. You also want to match the center channel to the fronts so these three speakers together would be the critical part.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
You could get the Monitor Audio Bronze B2 which actually get better reviews from what I have seen and they cost nearly 1/2 the price of the B4s

Todo
Unregistered guest
well i could get the b2's and bronze centre for about $1000. How do the b2's go vs the jmlab chorus 705 (same price range) and more expensive 706 and 707?

Bronze B2 - $650
Bronze Centre - $450

JMLab 705 - $599
JMLab 706 - $799
JMLab 707 - $999
JMLab CC70 centre - $499
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us