Noob choosing speakers

Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 3
I am starting from ground zero (or at least nearly). My not-so-old Sony bookshelf stereo system is dying & I'm fed up with THAT merry-go-round so I'm moving into the scary mid-end audio world. I've pretty much settled on a Yamaha RX-V650 for the receiver (maybe a Marantz 5400 if someone can convince me, but nothing is in showrooms to play with, too low-end for them :-( ). I currently have an old cheapo Hitachi DVD & Panasonic VHS player, but those will go away eventually.

I am blessed with a high Wife Aceptance Factor (she's totally on board with the idea & is actually pushing my speaker budget up!). We both like a wide range of movies & music; basically we'll be asking the system to play just about every genre of movie & most of music (excepting hip-hop & rap type noise).

We listened to Polk RTi6 & RTi4, Sapphire SB-2 (I think), Infinitys, and Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v3s. Obviously not all at the same store, but we learned a bunch & figured out what we liked--Polks, Paradigms, NOT Sapphires & Infinitys). My wife commented the Sapphires sounded like they had a blanket over them & I agree (yay, our ears agree with each other). The Infinitys were even worse.

Now obviously the Paradigms (driven on a $3k CD player) blew everything else on that list away. We loved the clarity & balance of those. However, I felt the Polk RTi6s had a similar quality.

I have two questions:
1) Will it be worth it dropping $800 for the Studio 20s with the RX-V650? This will quadruple my initial fronts budget I had in mind--we liked those speakers that much.
2) Do the lower-level Paradigms like the Monitors or Titans have a similar sound? Sizewise they will fit our space better.

I also would like to know given our preference for Polk & Paradigm if I should look into HTD, Axiom, Athena, or Wharfedale speakers? Getting a set to audition will be more of a hassle for those.

Thanks for any help in steering a noob the right way. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 658
With music the Marantz will sound a lot better than the Yamaha. It has also more power and does sound smoother and warmer with better bass reproduction. For me it would be a no brainer.

I dont know much about Paradigm or Polk, but my favourite list would include Dynaudio Audience 42, Focal.JMLab Chorus 706S, Quad 11L and Tannoy Sensys DC1. I've heard that the Wharfedale Evolution series would be quite nice also.

Discussion about Dynaudio and Paradigm:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=444504

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 115
All good choices there landroval...I did not know this until today but the same engineer that developed the Quad 11L also developed the new Wharfedale Diamond 9 series due to hit showrooms in a month or so. What Hi-Fi did the first review of the 9.1's this month with stellar results. They also reviewed the new Diamond subs with the same result. I read the review and checked them out on the Wharfedale website, can't wait to get my hands (ears) on a pair :-)

Post Number: 10
OK, I've been bugging everyone in the Receivers forum all week & am leaning more towards the Marantz 5400 now (only half a week to flip-flop left :-) ). Maybe the Yamaha RX-V650.

For speakers I've narrowed my preference down to Paradigm & Polk. For Polk I will likely get the RTi6; I've been warned off from the Monitor series.

Thanks for the suggestions, landroval. Unfortunately Focal, Quad & Wharfedale are not available in my area--Dynaudio only has a single dealer near me & I won't go there (bad attitude & no facility for auditioning anything anyway). The Tannoys are available at the Paradigm dealer, I'll give those a listen--which range would approximate the Studio 20?

In the Paradigm range, anyone familiar with the Studio 20 vs Monitor series (Mini Monitor, 3, or 5)? How do they compare? Stepping down another level, Focus? Titan?

Physical size is an issue--the Studio 20 depth is a slight concern; I don't want anything any bigger than they are. Once I get a center channel, the CC-370 is my best option due to height limitations (CC-470 COULD be made to fit--barely--by removing a shelf & placing directly on the TV :-( Not good). If I were to splurge on the Studio 20s, would mixing lines like that be a problem?

The WAF demands a dark cherry or black finish, so any line without those options are not going to fly. I can't complain as this is really the only limitation she's insisting on & I am fine with it--I'm usually the picky one.

Jimvm
Unregistered guest
I haven't heard the Polks, but to me, the Studio 20's are one of the best sounding bookshelf speakers for the money -- very neutral, very natural, and excellent imaging. While Paradigm's Monitor series speakers are nice and nicely priced, they are definitely a step down from the Reference line. I don't know how the CC-370 would sound with the Studio 20's, but as a general rule it's not a good idea to mix the front three speakers. You might try re-looking at your shelf situation. Paradigm lists the CC-470 height as 9 1/16"; that's with the "feet" added. The actual height of the speaker by itself (without adding the feed) is 8 1/16". I don't know if that would make a difference for you.

In any event, while the 20's are really nice speakers, there are alot of other really nice speakers out there. Go with what sounds best to you and what works best for you. Good luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
The feet are removable & add an inch to the height?? That actually makes a difference! My entertainment center has a shelf above the TV where I want to put the center channel speaker. Removing the shelf & a trim facia piece should allow the CC-470 to fit--just barely. There's just not much wiggle room for me with the size of the CC-470. Now, would setting the speaker directly on top of the TV case be a problem? I'd probably get one of those anti-slip pads to put in between.

I'd prefer to keep within the same range, but if I had to drop to the CC-370 for center, is the sound that much different considering they are still Paradigm? Their suggested systems have the CC-270 & CC-370 matched up with Monitor Series, Performance series, and Stylus series. I do notice the Reference doesn't match up with anything other than Reference series--probably ought to tell me something.

I spoke with the Paradigm salesman about the Monitors vs. Studio & IIRC he said the mid & bass wasn't as full. I really like those Studio 20s & am trying to figure out how to make them work in my room.

To my untrained ear the Polk RTi6s sounded similar to the Paradigms, just not quite as much in each attribute; but at a couple hundred less per pair that's to be expected. I would be a happy camper if I can figure out how to fit a Paradigm Studio 5.1 setup in my little room.

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
as far as you question about puttingthe center on the tv, that is fine

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Cool. I grabbed some boxes from receiving at work & made up some mock speaker boxes for a Studio 20 & ADP-470. The good news: The Studio 20 isn't as big as I was thinking--it's actually a bit smaller overall (a little deeper, but not too bad) than the Sonys I currently have. :-) The bad news: the ADP-470 is too big for the room. I'll probably have to look at something like the ADP-170 or Atom/Titan for the surrounds. I am hoping mixing ranges on surrounds isn't as critical as the fronts/center.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 673
Chris,
Don't worry. The Titan or Atom will work fine as a surround even with the Studio series. Is the Mini-Monitor too big also? If so go with the Titan first then the Atom if you have to. Glad are able to fit the cc-470 into your space. Now to receivers. If you have read any of my receiver posts you have read many that recommend Marantz. I would not recommend Marantz with the Paradigms though. You mentioned the Yamaha 650 which I would also not recommend but I would recommend the Yamaha 1400/2400 or even better 1500/2500 whren they come out. The new models are supposed to have a pure direct mode which if Yamaha does it right will keep the sub active in 2 channel direct mode which is the best way to listen to 2 channel sources. The new models have the same list price as the old ones so look for a 1500 for around $600 or so mail order when they come out soon. Good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Well, I just bought a Marantz 5400, so that part of the equation is now set.

Why not Paradigms with Marantz?

If I do go with Paradigm, it will probably be Studio 20, CC-470 (maybe, but not likely CC370), and Atom or Titan surrounds. Dipole surrounds just won't work in my room.

I did listen to the suggested Tannoys & didn't like them as well as the Paradigms. A bit too much in the highs for me, Paradigm sounded more balanced. They were being driven on an Anthem CD player IIRC.

All in all my budget is inflating at an alarming rate. Receiver doubled from what I first thought I could get away with, main speakers have quadrupled, I don't even want to think about the rest of the 3.1 channels... And I heaven't even gotten started seriously investigating replacements for all my sources. =8O

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
Chris....check out the Tannoy Fusion 3 at $249 a piece. They are incredible for this price!

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4185153

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Two problems there: #1 it's a floorstander--I need bookshelves. #2 It's Fry's. I'd rather not give them the money if I had a choice--I'd prefer to go with the dealer who let me audition them.

I'm thinking of trying to take the receiver to the speakers & run them through it to see how I like the Marantz/Paradigm combo vs the Marantz/Tannoy (DC1) combo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
Ahhh, i see. they do carry the bookshelf versions but this is the only retailer that I know of that carries this product in the U.S

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Just an FYI, the Tannoy dealer I went to is:
Pacific Coast Audio Video
2816 E. Coast Hwy
Corona Del Mar, CA
949-640-5093

They also are a Paradigm/Anthem dealer & several other high-end brands. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to who all they carry--most of it is well out of my budget. Anyway, they are very nice there & set up an audition of the Paradigms for me just walking in off the street. If I decide to get any of the brands they carry I will likely go out of my way to give them the business.

Silver Member
Username: Valeem

Post Number: 157
Chris,

If you do manage to compare your Marantz with Paradigm's and then other speakers please do report your findings.

Bronze Member
Username: Jamesp

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 56
Chris,

You should also add to your list Monitor Audio go with your Marantz. I have listened to Paradigm Mini Monitor's and Marantz and thought the sound was a little too relaxed.

Kano
Unregistered guest
Polk owner here. I love the silk dome tweeters, you can really push the volume up without getting ear fatigue. Some prefer a brighter sound but I like listening at high volumes for lengthly times so Polk was the way to go. Great balance between music and movies as well.

Can't say anything bad about Paradigm though. The Monitor series are a really well made speaker.

The Polks are prettier though ;)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Monitor was on my list until I listened to them, now they're off. I didn't care for them much.

I have time next weekend to go listen to the Quads and Focals (assuming the dealers have some to listen to...). Then hopefully I'll be able to get a nice short list to possibly try and bring home.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us