The Death of SACD and DVD Audio

Bronze Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 63
Most stores I visit in Florida have fewer titles than a year ago and the salespeople still have no idea what formats these are.
With all the new technology coming down the pipe like Blueray and Dual Disc, I don't see the competition keeping these two formats valid except for the people who own the universal players (very few).

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Could be, here's what some of us think:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/16685.html

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
And we discussed the future and present relevance of surround sound in this thread:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/56709.html

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 636
Here, they are slowly but surely appearing in increased numbers. These formats are not dying if you're up with the latest news. In fact far from it!

But I agree, there is much to learnt by the so called salespeople.

Silver Member

Post Number: 637
Here, they are slowly but surely appearing in increased numbers. These formats are not dying if you're up with the latest news. In fact far from it!

But I agree, there is much to learnt by the so called salespeople.

Silver Member

Post Number: 638
Sorry for the double post - the first try seemed as if it was never going to load.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 243
I recently walked into a nearby Circuit City and took a look at their SACD and DVD-A sections. In the past there would be around 25 different titles of each type. This last time there were only 3 SACDs and 1 DVD-A. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come, but then again I've bought most of my discs online where there is a much greater selection. When I've talked to the sales people there, a few didn't even know much, if anything, about these hi-res discs. On the other hand, I bought a DVD-A at a V1rg1n Mega-store out in Arizona earlier this year and the check-out clerk made sure I understood the disc would not play in a "normal" cd player. He said I'd be surprised at the number of people trying to return discs that were incompatible with their players. :-)
I still have doubts about the future of these discs based on how poorly they're being marketed.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 605
You will get a far wider range of DVD-A and SACD surround titles if you go to an online site, rather than a typical brick and mortar store.

I stopped going to retailers when shopping for surround audio discs. Most of them have a pathetic selection.

Shopping online for these discs is almost always far more rewarding.

SACDude
Unregistered guest
I get my SACDs (no DVD-As) either through Amazon.com or arkivmusic.com. The latter site has most everything of the 2-thousand or so SACDs in production - and there are several good online sites offering reviews. As I listen to mainly classical and opera, SACD is better for me - though I'm not going to get into an argument about formats! Please! My older player will soon be replaced by a new one of the "universal" type, and I'm awaiting the reviews for such products as Denon, Sony and the new and heralded Samsung 941. But as to the discs, stick with Online - most of the "locals" have not yet heard of the new formats!

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1508
the best buy's near me have a fairly large section that
seams to grow larger everytime i go their.

Bronze Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 67
What is frustrating is that the available titles of SACD or DVD Audio are limited, and many stores only carry very few of these.

Good luck finding much in North Florida.

Bronze Member
Username: Culp4684

Post Number: 49
Kegger-

The two Best Buy's I have near me (in NJ) have about a hundred titles or so combined SACD and DVD-A. What bothers me is that they don't seem to stock any new titles that come out in any genre.

The newest title I could find was Diana Krall's "When I Look in Your Eyes", which was made five years ago. Funny, they actually had this one in both hi rez formats.

Username: Bmarian

Post Number: 2
Yeah, brick-and-mortar DVD-A/SACD hunting is quite an experience. Best Buys greatly vary in quantity. One in Atlanta looked ransacked: half the discs were gone, and the other half was misfiled. Orlando stores have are better stocked in comparison.

I called Park Ave CDs (used CD store in Winter Park, FL), and they told me they don't carry SACDs/DVD-As. I went to the store, and they had a dedicated used sacd/dvd-a section.

CD Warehouze mix all their SACD/DVDAs in with the regular music. Very useless.

Strangely enough, it's hard to find the Flaming Lips DVD-A/CD album. It's well rated on every site and forum for both content and audio quality, and contains the regular audio CD and the DVD-A/dolby disc.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 338
Bruno,

Try your local Border's bookstore for the Flaming Lips DVD-A. If they don't have it, it's definitely worth ordering a copy online. It's one of the best surround recordings around.

Username: Bmarian

Post Number: 9
haha, no, I have the Flaming Lips. I was surprised to not see in stores. Not even a tab for "Flaming Lips." One store had it for $24.95. I swear I bought it last yr. from Best Buy from less than $18.

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 239
Two Cents, Bruno, et al. Here in beautiful downtown Naples, Florid-Duh! dare ain' no sech animule as "SACD." Well, almost none. Trying to find any in Barnes and Noble or Border's is like going on safari through tall grass - with snakes!
I finally gave up and order all my SACDs Online. Some of you are more fortunate!
In re-reading some of the earlier posts on this thread - What ever happened to the man with the strange "name" - SACDude?
Sir, if you're out there anywhere, there's a lot of us who would like to know what happened to you! Drop a line - don't have to get "hooked in" again - but we're curious folk here!

Bronze Member
Username: Drew_and_not_u

Wilmington, NC United States

Post Number: 15
The best buy near me generally has a decent selection of DVD-As and SACDs (though they don't even have Thriller), though restocking seems to be a problem. I try to buy as many as I can from the store in the small hope that perhaps I can contribute to keeping demand up and perhaps help influence them to increase their selection.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1171
2005 Grammy Wards Surround Sound Nominees:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=19940222

For the first time the Grammy will be presented for the best Surround Sound Recording at the 2005 presentations. I don't think this is indicative of dying formats. On the contrary I would think!

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 288
MR et al - thanks for the "heads up" on the Grammy awards. Strange that the only "classical" recording is the SFS Mahler 4 - which critics have said is not Tilson Thomas at his best. Oh, well - I haven't heard it yet, so I can't say for sure.
At any rate, this is why I put my eggs in the SACD basket in the first place: there were initially more SACDs than DVD-As with "my" kind of music, and there were hints and promises of much more to come in SACD format.
From your posting, and others, it would seem that I might have "guessed right" this time around.
The DVD-A folk are having a devil of a time with their new, thicker, "Dual Discs." Many players simply won't play them - they get stuck in the mechanism. Sigh. Back to the ole drawing board? Stay tuned. . .
Meanwhile - G-day all, and happy listening!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us