Receiver to pair with Denon 3910?

Erik99508
Unregistered guest
Any suggestions? I have given thought to the Denon 5805, but this is a bit brutally expensive for me. Anyone think it'll be worth it? I do realize it's not out yet...I definitely want to take advantage of the HDMI or Firewire connectivity for DVD-A and SACD(Is Denon-link as good for both?). I have 5.1 Ch. Kipsch's, planning on increasing to 7.1 and considering M&K spkrs. I appreciate any comments.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 645
Maybe a Pioneer 59TXi or 56TXi will better suit your needs. They have i-link for DVDA/SACD and sonically they're a better match with Klipsch.

Erik99508
Unregistered guest
Is HDMI going to do anything better than ilink? Since it's the "the future" (from what I read, at least) I seem to want to use it. What about Denon link? In reading the manual it sounds as though it will only transmit DVDA (i.e. not SACD). Is this correct?

Bronze Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 87
The obvious model is the denon 3805...

Silver Member

Post Number: 649
But the 3805 is not perfect, it's sound is still not right. And with Dlink you cant have SACD so it's quite useless for now.

HDMI wont do anything related to audio better than i-link. I-link does not transfer video so that's pretty much the difference. For now also HDMI doesn't have SACD, but I believe it will be available sooner or later. I-link does everything already so it's the perfect way to transfer audio from the player to the receiver.

Erik99508
Unregistered guest
The no video aspect of i-link would be okay for me because my TV only has a DVI input.

However I did just read on the denon site that the 3rd gen of dlink will be SACD capable. So then should I consider the 5803 or even wait for the 5805? Or what is it about the 3805 that makes it an obvious choice?

I have been thinking of getting some M&K 850's (any opinions on those?) so would they match up any better with Denon or Pioneer(or something else)? Are there specific things about how they're manufactured that make one a better match with other components or speakers, or is it just preference to a particular sound?

Silver Member

Post Number: 652
Dlink3 at the receivers can take SACD, but the players cant send it so it wont work. There could be a SACD outputting Dlink player in the future, but none of the current models (incl 3910) wont do it.

An M&K 850 5.1 system costs like $2500? For those I would look for a receiver in the $1000-$1500 class, but no more. The reviews say they're very forward speakers, so Denon would be a very bad choice with them. Pioneer Elite would be ok, as would be Marantz. Take a look at VSX-56TXi and SR-7500 and SR-8500. They should work fine with your system.

Matching is usually a question of preference of particular sound, but also a little bit about the receivers ability to drive hard to drive speakers.

Erik99508
Unregistered guest
So I guess my next question would be why would they make the receiver compatible and not make their own DVD player capable of sending the signal?

So what are some good speakers to match with a Denon 3805 or 5803? Has anyone done any reviews of the 5805?

Silver Member

Post Number: 653
Because they're not lisenced to do it. Sony is very reluctant to give authorization for SACD digital transfer, because that would have a negative effect on sales of it's own players and receivers.

5805 info:
http://www.audioholics.com/cedia/cedia2004/denonAVR5805press.php
http://www.audioholics.com/cedia/cedia2004/denonAVR5805features.php
http://www.audioholics.com/cedia/cedia2004/denonAVR5805featurescheckl.php

For 3805 you could try Paradigm Studio series, B&W 700-series, Tannoy Sensys DC series, Epos M-series and Quad L-series.

For 5803 and 5805 try B&W Nautilus 800, JMLab Utobia Be or Electra Be, Tannoy Eyris DC, Revel Perfoma, Dynaudio Contour etc.

Erik99508
Unregistered guest
No suprise. My Buddies at Sony.

Thanks for the other info-I'll check that stuff out.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us