$600-1000 receiver

Eric
Unregistered guest
Hi there,

Any suggestions for a $600-1000 receiver? Am I spending too much on my first receiver? I have done some research and also read some discussions here. It sounds like HK 7200 would be a good choice. Any comments?

Do I need extended warrantee?

Any suggestions for matching front speakers ($600-$1000)? My current plan is to buy two floor standing speakers and add other components later (don't have the money to buy all at once). Comments?

Greatly appreciated!

Best,

Eric

BTW: anyone knows where in NYC I can test these things?

No one cares anyways
Unregistered guest
Yamaha's are great receivers. They are expensive though.

Username: Harbolt

Post Number: 11
Hello. Here is my two sense worth. First of all, I currently own a HK and will never own another one. They used to be of very high quality but these days, their quality has gone down. Marantz and NAD are good receivers but you need to make sure you have plenty of breathing space for these receivers. Yamaha makes some good receivers and you can find some of their receivers on closeout for good prices. I would also recomend taking a look at Pioneer Elite. I will be replacing my Harman Kardon with a Pioneer Elite model. They seem to be well made, sound good, and get good reviews. I also like the fact that they have an internal fan for cooling down. A couple of web sites I would check out are as follows:

http://www.accessories4less.com

http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com

Also, be sure you buy online from an authorized dealer or your factory warranty will not be valid. As far as the extended warranty, I would not mess with it... unless you are buying a Harman Kardon.

Brent

Anonymous

U can get the Yamaha RXV1400 for abt $570. has auto set up mic which saves U alot of headache and costs less than the Pioneer Vsx5i (around $1.5k). Save the $$ and add a power amp like the Rotel, Adcom or Parasound 5 channel later.

Listen to the PSB (http://www.psbspeakers.com/s/StratusMini.html), Alon Petite, Cabasse Fregate, Spendor SP 3/5, Totem Arro. The Totem may be difficult to drive so best to try the amp and speakers together.

Anonymous

Eric;

The HK7200 for $999 is at
B&H Photo.
420 Ninth Avenue.
New York, NY 10001, USA.
Between 33rd & 34th street.

On Tuesday I tried to audition the same receiver at J&R near City Hall. The salesman probably thought that I could not afford the $999 price (I went in street clothes) and he removed the CD after a minute.

They had disabled all the controls so the only opinion I could form is that the unit is HUGE.

I will try to find a dealer whose salesmen are more courteous. I will next try B&H.

Eric
Unregistered guest
To Anonymous and all:

Thanks a lot! I'll try B&H this week. Bought my camera and camcorder there. Not the cheapest but a reliable dealer.

Username: Iceberg

Post Number: 15
What are you going to use your Receiver for? If more for Music then go with NAD, they sound awsome with some paradigm speakers. For HT i always like DENON's. I would say go listen to some receivers and make your choice from that. Good luck.

Anonymous

H/K poor quality?! That's one person's unqualified opinion. I have one and it's awesome. Powerful and cool looking. It sounds terrific too. All I know is H/K *always* gets great reviews on build quality, and has a TWO year warranty, twice as long as most competitors.

Username: Paul_t

Post Number: 45
The HK 7200 is a good choice, also look into NAD, with the new T7x3 series just coming out you could get a great deal on a T752 for $699 or if you can find a T762 you probably can get it for under $900.... That would be the most bang for your buck..

Username: Hteaterjunkie

Post Number: 11
I second the 7200. For less than 1000$, the receiver is a steal. Great build quality, sound, and features...what more can you ask for. You can also look into NAD or Pioneer Elites as they are great receivers too. Just make sure that you buy speakers that match whichever receiver you end up purchasing.

Username: Ncavman

Post Number: 10
HK7200.... under $899 shipped, rave reviews, sounds killer, onecall option extends warranty to five years. All the bells and whistles. Worth way more. I agree with htheaterjunkie, Elite and NAD would also make a good choice and also Marantz under $1K. The speakers you choose will help you decide which way to lean.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 157
I will second NAD - I think they are a much better choice. Upper model onkyo is also good. These two do music well too (2 ch) - a few that do.

Check out this review by the pros:

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/buyersguide_list.asp?category=AMP&subcategory=MULTI

This one also won receiver of the year award in a different magazine - good price on refurb:

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=101502

eric
Unregistered guest
to anon,

b&h does not have it on display. don't go if you haven't

Username: Basfrommobay

Post Number: 3
Eric

Saw the HK7200 at 6thAve Electronics in their Paramus, New Jersey store (6ave.com). Authorized dealer. Very courteous sales staff-compared to that other place I went to in Manhattan. I was able to listen and change functions until I was satisfied. Price $919 including shipping. On "back-order and will be in stock mid-January. I ordered one even though the remote is strange. Thanks for the info about B&H.

PS The Consumer Electronics show is being held this weekend. Prices usually go down, after the show, when new models are released. But, for $919 incl shipping, I did not want to gamble. I was considering the Onkyo 801 and last week saw the price, at a major authorized dealer, increase from $799 to $899 after it was back in stock.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us