Yamaha SACD/DVD audio player

Bronze Member
Username: Culp4684

Post Number: 39
Has anyone actually checked one of these out?

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/DVD/DVDS1500.htm

I'm looking for a good SACD/DVD-A player better than the basic Mitsubishi/Pioneer stuff, but below the $500 range. These should actually sell below $400 at most retailers.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1468
i've heard good things on the yamaha.

i have the denon 2200 you may be able to find those now
for the price your looking.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Interesting story about this unit. It appears that Yamaha has not even made it yet! According to my local dealer that I just bought my new speakers and receiver from, they may never make it. Because of its features and price point, a couple of the guys that work at this place have been eagerly waiting for the unit's arrival ever since it was announced in May of this year. Evidently Yamaha jumped a little too quickly with the annoncement and are having some extremely serious issues with production.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1488
thats a bummer!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Yeah, I'm actually comparing the Elite DV-45A and Marantz 6400. My fav hi-fi shop has the Pioneer on sale for $399 and the other for $515. They actually thought the Elite would have better audio quality because it has Burr-Brown DAC's.

I'm a little concerned that neither has the Faroudja processing that my Denon DVD-900 has. Could it be that this unit has superior video quality over the two newer players?

SACDude
Unregistered guest
This may sound nutty, but I would seriously consider the new (out 9/30) Samsung 941 - NOT the current 841. This will sell for under $400 USD and from the previews I've read, should be equal in quality to the Denon 2910 (which is based on Kegger's 2200) Hope that helps. I think there are some comments on the Denon 2910 and Samsung 941 on eCoustics under DVD player reviews???

Bronze Member
Username: Mgkaplan

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 79
I have the Yamaha DVD-S2300 MK2. It performs remarkably well.

I have not yet tried the DVD S1500 (I have not yet seen the DVD S1500.)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
SACDude-

I don't think you will see any reviews on them because they haven't even been released yet.

I also think you will have a hard time convincing most here that Samsung quality could ever compare with Denon.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
I just got a call from the very same audio shop today. Yamaha just shipped them three of these units and they have one on display. I'll check it out and report back soon.

Should be a nice unit as far as the video quality goes. It has a 12 bit, 108Mhz Video DAC with Faroudja DCDi processing. It also says it uses high performance 192khz/24 bit audio DAC's, whatever that means. This unit directly price compares with the Elite DV-45 unit which claims to have Burr/Brown DAC's, but not as good specs with the video.

JonD
Unregistered guest
Hope the Samsung 941 is more reliable than their 841. I bought an 841 and, despite all the fuss about black levels, thought the picture looked great with DVI. However it just couldn't play DVD-Audio discs without the unit crashing on me. Two units same problem. The 941 may have better video processing but I doubt they will have done anything new with the audio formats so beware.

I've pre-ordered a Denon 2910 universal which I'm sure I'll be happy with but, if it's just the video side you need, why not try Denon's 1910. $299.00, 720p/1080i up-scaling and Faroudja DCDi and it's a Denon! Gotta be worth a try and it's available now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us