Energy vs Klipsch

Anonymous

for an hk, which would be the better listen. i keep hearing that klipsch is great for hk but energy is a good listen and i think the energys are more asthetically pleasing

Username: Hteaterjunkie

Post Number: 10
Anon,

The HK would match the Klipsch much better than Energy speakers. The Energy speakers are very "laid back" sounding which does not match well with the HK because the HK is "laid back" as well. The Klipsch on the other hand are much brighter and they match much better with the HK.

I have heard the HK with Klipsch speakers and Energy speakers and found that the HK/Klipsch combo had a much better overall soundstage with both music and movies.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous

thanks for the reply. are there any other brands of speaker that has the "brighter" side. something that will match well with HK.

Post Number: 12
Anon,

Klipsch matches perfectly with the HK and they are very efficient speakers which means that you won't need a lot of power to get them to play loud. This in turn means that you can buy a receiver with a little less power and save some money.

There are other brands as well but it really depends on your budget.

Username: Gdawg

Post Number: 14
HT Junkie,
"Laid back" does not mean "warm" it means the soundstage of the receiver is furthur back.

Anon,
Go for the Energy. They are, IMO, an awsome speaker. While Klpisch also makes great speakers(I would know I own them!) the Energy would be a better match because the HK is only a tad warmer than neutral. The Klipsch would still make it sound too "bright" and would lose the speakers ability to play music/or HT at high volumes for long periods of time.

G.DawG

Username: Kegger

Post Number: 35
while i value gdawg's oppinion i have to disagree.

i personally am running an hk525 with 2 different
sets of speakers jbl studio series (not the newer
cheaper II's)and klipsch reference 35's with the
rc-7 center channel both sets of speakers are very
bright and effecinet.

and i love the sound i get from the combonation.
works great for both movies and music.
plays very loud and clear for me.

Post Number: 13
G.DawG,

I have heard both Energy speakers and Klipsch speakers with the HK and to my ears, the Energy are not a good match at all with the HK. The Klipsch/HK combo sounded much better. Now keep in mind that this is what I THINK sounds better. I am not saying that the Energy speakers are in any way bad...I just believe that they would be better served with a different sounding receiver. Also, I would like to point out that when I say I listened to them, I don't mean I listened to a 5 minute demo. I have many friends with HT setups and I happen to know someone with the HK/Energy setup as well as someone else with a HK/Klipsch setup. I helped set them up and have listened to them both quite a bit.

As far as the speakers being laid back, you are right in that I used the wrong terminology. I should have said that they are rather warm. Anyhow you still understood what I meant and that is what counts. :-)

Anon,

I would suggest that you listen to both and possibly some other brand speakers and see what sounds best to YOU.

Anonymous

thanks for the input. do you have any opinions on the axiom m60ti, qs8, vp100, ep350 for a hk reciever.

Post Number: 14
Anon,

Axiom is another brand that matches very nicely with HK receivers, there are only two changes I would suggest with the models you listed.

Firstly, the VP100 is very nice but I would really recommend that you look at the VP150 in its place. I have heard both first hand and the 150 offers a fuller sound to my ears. Secondly, the EP350, while being a very good subwoofer, lacks the power and precision of some other subwoofers in the same price range. I would recommend looking at an SVS PCi series subwoofer. They offer the best bang for the buck IMHO.

Good luck!

Username: James_d

Post Number: 1
Wow I can't believe how great people are on these forums. No one lashes out and everyone is laid back and just tries to help each other out. What a great place!

G.Dawg I saw in another post that you said Final Destination 2 was shot in your home town. I'm not that far away, I'm in Victoria.

Anonymous

htheaterjunkie,
some of the axioms are 6 ohm, do you need to have specific specs on the receiver to push that?
and
what is the deal with that svs pci, they are quite different than any sub i have seen before.
thank you

Anonymous

does anybody have any suggestions of other speakers that will match a hk? I have been looking at paradigms, but would like to keep my options open so I can find a good deal.

Post Number: 15
Anon,

Most good receivers will push 6 ohms. The HKs because of they great power supplies will have no problem pushing those speakers even though HK only rates their receivers for 8 Ohms.

As far as the SVS go, they have both cylindrical and box subwoofers so of course choose what you prefer. Any of their subwoofers should knock your socks off. They are a highly regarded manufacturer and they stand by their products 100%. To top it all off, they have a 45 day trial period where you can return the subwoofer should you not like it but I have yet to see that happen. They easily offer the best subwoofers in their respective price range whether it be for sound quality or build quality.

If you are looking at Paradigm speakers a HK would still sound great with them but they are warmer sounding than the Klipsch and would require a more neutral sounding receiver IMHO. NAD would be my suggestion for the Paradigms but of course this depends on your personal preference.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 173
Consider this one - they sell direct cutting out the middleman, so they can offer more quality for the buck.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Main/Intro/Firstpage.asp

You can try them out at home and return them if not for you. Speakers are such a subjective choice - depending on your taste and the music you listen to. You should hear them your-self among the ones suggested, and go with the your heart on the decision.

Anonymous

Monitor Audio speakers and Harman Kardon is a good combination. You have to try them out as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us